Report on DIZZY'S "TROPO'S TRIP"

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to let you know Tropo that I have just said goodbye to Dizzy ( Dee) who came to stay with me after her trip around the Sunshine Coast and the route that you suggested to her. She had a fabulous time, the weather was good, beaches were fabulous and she saw more than she ever would have without your trip suggestions. While she was with me we went all over ( by the way she came for afternoon tea and stayed one week as she is a lovely person and easy to get on with and so enthusiastic about Australia) the S.E. and when I was unable to go with her she took off herself and explored the whole region I think.
She will be going home with some unique pictures and memories of places like Nimbin, sky diving out at Koorablyn and jumping off Tamborine Mountain with those wing things. She met a pretty large python in the rain forest and about 100 different birds ( all of which she has taken 50 photos of each to bore the pants of rellies when she gets home). She sat outside my kitchen for an hour a day feeding the King parrots, rainbow lorries, pale headed rosellas, crimson rosellas etc etc and was particularly enthralled with the goings on of our resident Satin Bower bird and his harem.
Should she ever sit still for 5 minutes we should expect her long and details trip report but this is the interim one.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 02:15 PM

Hey Liz - is the Bower bird the one that collects blue things?
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 07:14 PM

LizF - I'm happy I could contribute something to make Dizzys holiday. No doubt you would have spoilt her, by either showing or recommending those special places to her. By the sounds of it, she has seen a lot more than more than most tourists, which just goes to show you, that one does not have to travel long distances, to see the best of Australia.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

John in Miami - Yes its the one with the blue things. He has an enemy who comes over and bashes down his castle every week or so but he still persists in building it right up again and getting those girls into it. I have noticed that most of my neighbours do not have any blue pegs anymore, and how he gets some of the things I cannot imagine - there was a long blue ruler out there the other day.
Tropo, Dee would have loved to have had your address as she wanted to give you a "big slurp on the cheek" ( her words) for your help and suggestions, however if you are a small person I doubt you would have survived one of her hugs :0) Also, she did see a platypus at the Canungra Winery even though by that time she was seeing double! So she got 2 for the price of 1!
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

Just giving you a bit of notice John in Miami that we are looking at a trip to Columbia ( South America ) in August and depending on the routing etc we may stop over in Miami for some good old fashioned J&B hospitality.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 04:58 AM

Liz - you better make sure you route your trip through Miami for a few days! We'd love to have you & Geoff come for a visit!

Please, please, please - if you HAVE to go to Columbia, make sure you have taken the appropriate security precautions! We have a large community of expat Columbians nearby and I personally know people who have encountered problems with the terrorist groups there. Our State Dept has advised Americans not to travel to Columbia. You can read the report at http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_941.html for the details.

Although you speak with that charming accent, you are obviously not a member of one of the narcoterrorist groups and therefore are a target for kidnapping or other violence. Unless you have a very strong need to go there, I would advise against it. Just come to Miami and hang out with us instead!
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you John - thats sweet and you are ON! I must admit that I havn't checked the travel warnings for Columbia as yet suffice it to say that friends of ours are there at the moment, and have been there for about 3 months, and are having a wonderful time. The really attractive part of it is that they have had dental implants - cost about $500US compared to about $20,000 here and both of them have had their eyes lazered for $500 and thats about $5,000 each eye here. Not to mention that they are thinking seriously about a nip and tuck for a fraction of the "Western" cost. Most Doctors are US trained so that is not a problem and I have to admit that to see again without glasses would be nice not to mention the $20,000 worth of dental work for $500.
Now really John, who would want me? Who in their right mind would want to kidnap me - Geoff would wish them all the luck in the world and go chuckling off never to be seen again. Come to think of it he probably would go out of his way to get a Tee shirt made with " Go on! make my day - kidnap my wife". Seriously though I will look into that situation there and check the travel warnings as you say.