Reload this Page >

Reef Tours from Palm Cove/Port Douglas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 02:20 PM
Christina

Can anyone recommend a company that goes to the Great Barrier Reef from either Port Douglas or Palm Cove? My husband & I will be staying in Palm Cove at the end of August and were wanting to do some snorkeling or intro-dives. <BR><BR>Also, what is the water temperature at this time? Will we need wet suits?<BR><BR>Any feedback will be appreciated!

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 06:41 AM
oztravel

Wavelenth is great for just snorkeling - smaller more personal. For intro diving tyr Posiedon, Haba or Quicksmart. All are a little smaller than the Huge boats that go out. May be a little more expensive but well worth it. Don't worry about suits- all boats usually include it in the price along with snorkeling gear. For multiple days and multiple dives/snorkels wear a full length 3mm which also give added protection from the sun and environment. If you're a big person that never gets cold then buy a lycra full length suit for sun and other protection.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 08:46 AM
Christina

Thanks for the suggestions!

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 01:42 PM
l252

I was in Port Douglas last week and went on a snorkel trip with Wavelength. It was great! They rented wetsuits for $5AUS on the boat. I did not use a wetsuit, but about 1/2 of the other passengers did use them.<BR>Have a great trip!

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 01:51 PM
Mina

If you snorkel, you probably already know this but...<BR><BR>If you don't wear a wetsuit, throw on a T-Shirt, or something! Some of the lobster backs on the snorkelers I saw were frightening!<BR><BR>I went with Poseidon and Quicksmart, en enjoyed them both. I am a certified diver, and next time would take an even smaller boat if I could!

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 12:08 AM
Suz

Hi, We went snorkelling with Quicksmart back in November and absolutely LOVED it. Highly recommend them... there were about 100 on the boat that day. Went to 2 dive sites and had the time of our life! One recommendation in addition to wearing the t-shirt, is to really slap on the sunscreen on the BACK of your thighs! I didn't put much on there, and was burned to a crisp a;nd couldnt sit down comfortably for days! Enjoy!