Reef Equipment?

Jul 10th, 2000, 07:20 AM
Mary Ann

Reef Equipment?

We are planning to do a day trip to the reef in November, probably using Poseidon. We were wondering if we should bring any gear ourselves i.e. mouth pieces, aqua shoes? Does anyone know or have opinions?
Thanks for your assistance.

Jul 10th, 2000, 02:40 PM
Matt

We used Poseidon last year and can highly recommend them. They supply all equipment but if you have a particularly good mask and snorkel, you might want to bring that (poseidon's are fairly basic). They provide wetsuits, although the water will be warm. You don't do any reef walking, so I doubt you'll need aqua shoes. A disposable underwater camera is a good idea.

Jul 17th, 2000, 05:08 PM
TC

We did Poseidon last April. Their are very good. The wet suits are for rent although I can't recall the price. The masks and fins are good quality. I thought their tubes were very short - they filled easily with water on any little wave action and I was swamped all the time. Definately bring a disposable camera - maybe two - the photography is easy and very rewarding. The video they sell is also high quality and extremely reasonable in price.

Jul 28th, 2000, 04:50 PM
Louis

If you plan to snorkel often, perhaps once a year and plan to be in good areas for more than a few hours, it is best to have a proper fitting mask and snorkel. Any quality sport or dive shop can help you. If you need glasses, as we do, they can be fitted with prescription lenses. The fit on a mask is most important and a good feel in the mouth with a snorkel with a large diameter tube is desired. You can get both of good quality for under $100. Do not waste money on cheap stuff.

If you plan to be in the water snorkeling more than hour or so then sun protection such as a T shirt is most desired. The other problem area is the backs of the legs below the knee. The only inexpensive protection is pantihose or dancer's tights which we have used in the past before we purchased nylon suits from Sports Suits of Australia about 20 some years ago. We just used them last week in the Grenedines. If you are comfortable in ocean temperature in the 70F range, you will not need a wet suit, however to best see things snorkeling you need to be quiet. The lack of exercise will chill you. It might be to your interest to rent a wet suit if you want to be most comfortable.

Jul 28th, 2000, 05:05 PM
Louis

I forgot to mention fins. If you have an out of ordinary shoe size problem as my wife, a size 6, then you might be best to have fins for her. We have not found many places that have shoe fins that will fit her. If they have other than shoe fins than perhaps it is not a problem. In this male world, men do not have a problem. Most often fins are only in male or children sizes. Does this say that women do not count, perhaps but the children should be thankful for them.

Search this Thread