Reload this Page >

Rarotonga - Pacific Beach Resort

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 1999, 02:39 PM
Peggy

I'm hoping somebody out there has been to this resort and can supply me with some information.Rarotonga looks like Moorea or Bora Bora did many years ago; which is the goal. Thinking of May timeframe. Any input would be welcome! Interested in the Beachfront accomodations. Thanks

Old Mar 5th, 1999, 05:59 PM
lynn

(sorry about that...my fingers hit the wrong key!) <BR>as I was saying...we sat in a little "hut" with sand floors and looked directly out at the water. We would eat our breakfast here daily. I am an outside travel agent and I actually won this trip to the Cook Islands. This particular property is quite pricey. The accommodations were like small duplexes. Each evening when we returned to our room, our bed had been turned down and a different little gift was placed on our pillow. If you do get to Rarotonga, a side trip to the island of Atutaki was also wonderful. Hope this helps some. Write back if you have any specific questions and I'll try to help.

Old Mar 6th, 1999, 06:46 AM
lynn

I looked back at my response and realized the whole first part of my reply got wiped out...so I'll try again. My husband and I went to Rarotonga a couple of years ago in July. It was very windy most of the time we were there, but lovely. We stayed at the Manuia Beach Hotel. It is secluded, on the beach and small. The little "hut" I was talking about is right on the beach and is their restaurant/bar. The island is small. We rented mopeds and had a great time searching the island. Sorry I don't know anything specific about the Pacific Beach Resort but I just looked at my video we made while we were there (it was June 1991) and there was the Pacific Resort...and I'll assume it's the same one. It's very nice. The rooms aren't actually on the water, but it's just a short walk.

Old Mar 8th, 1999, 07:03 AM
Peggy

Lynn, <BR>Thanks so much for the reply. We are booked at Pacific Resort in May and do plan to take the day trip to Aitutaki. I can hardly wait! Did you have much trouble with mosquito bites? What about dining around the island, I assume the dress code is pretty relaxed. We'd rather be in a "shorts, t-shirt & barefoot" crowd than forced into collared shirts etc. Anything you can think of as a "must take with you" item? <BR>Do you remember if you had to drink bottled water? Thanks for any info!

Old Mar 26th, 1999, 06:39 PM
Gary Muth

So you are going to Rarotonga! Well, good for you. You have chosen wisely. <BR> <BR>Business has taken me to Australia 4 times in the last year and each time I have stopped <BR>in Raro, the last time being March 22nd/99. Believe me it is paradise on earth. Fiji and <BR>are ripoffs in comparison. What can I say? It's where I feel best about things. draw <BR>your own conclusions. <BR> <BR>Muri Beach is the best spot on the island and the Pacific Resort is right in the middle of it. <BR>There is a lot of cheaper accomodation right next to it ranging from backpacker(Vara's) <BR>to moderate(Sunrise Beach), but the Pacific rules the roost. It is fabulous. If you can <BR>afford the bucks, it's the place to stay. Even if you don't stay there, go for dinner or <BR>drinks. It;s worth the visit.

Old Mar 28th, 1999, 06:32 PM
lynn.chamberlin

Peggy, <BR>Casual is the name of the game...we did dress up a "bit" to go dinner a couple of nights. We didn't buy bottled water and weren't too concerned about what we ate. I hadn't been advised that we needed to worry about either. The only problem we had was we ate at an Italian restaurant in "town" (I don't remember the name) and I guess we both got food poisoning from pizza. We actually each ordered separate pizzas so we think it must have been either the sauce or cheese. Mine was a vegetarian and my husband's had meat. We took leftovers back to our room and when we woke up (deathly ill) in the middle of the night and opened the refrigerator, the smell about knocked us over.. I had actually had pizza a few days before at this same little restaurant and not problem. <BR> <BR>You will love Atutaki! You're taken by the "natives" on a boat off to a deserted island where you will snorkle and explore while the "natives" spear fish for lunch. They brought salad, bread, etc. and then speared the main course. I'm a non-meat, non-seafood eater, but managed to get enough of the other goodies they supplied. My husband fished off the back of the boat with a fishing line and hook and caught parrot fish. They are beautiful colors. I'm sure you will enjoy your trip. I don't recall any mosquitos at all. However, the time of year may make a difference. It never hurts to take along some repellant (they say Avon's Skin-So-Soft works well against mosquitos). Have a great trip!

Old Apr 12th, 1999, 11:27 AM
Lynda

My husband and I and another couple spent last Christmas in the Cooks. We stayed on Muri Beach at the Muri Beachcomber. This complex is right beside the Pacific Resort. We chose the Muri Beachcomber because we wanted the convenience of a self-catering unit. The units are one-bedroom and face onto the beach. It is a wonderful place for some R & R. In fact, we liked it so much that we are booked to go back next February and will again be staying at the Muri Beachcomber. We ate dinner and lunch at the Pacific Resort a few times and the food was great. We looked around the grounds and I wasn't very impressed. It looked like they hadn't kept up the maintenance on the grounds. We also wanted to be right on the beach and the rooms at the Pacific are not on the beach. I highly recommend the Cooks and the Muri Beachcomber. If you have any more questions, please feel free to email me directly. Hope you have a great holiday.