Rangiroa

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 08:17 PM
judy

Rangiroa

Well after readings some posts about Fiji I am once again drawn back to French Polynesia!! Thinking of staying 2 nights at the Sofitel on Moorea, have stayed here before and just loved it, the lagoon in front of the bungalows is truely amazing. But also want to see a different island and leaning heavily towards Rangiroa. The lagoon looks to have the same aquamarine crystal clear water as Moorea. Want to stay in the "Prestige Beach Bungalows", they have a hot tub on the front verrandah of the bungalows, has anyone stayed in one of these rooms and what did you think. Also are there other places close that you can eat dinner that are cheaper than the resort? Any help would be greatly appreciated.<BR>Judy

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 02:54 AM
Tiffany

Judy, I haven't stayed there yet but I can tell you what I have heard. The jacuzzis do not have hot water, just cold and the jacuzzi is in the front of the bungalow on the beach where everyone walks by. I was going to go with a beach bungalow too until I got the brochure from Kia Ora and it confirmed that the jacuzzis did not look private. We decided to go with the o/w. Everything that I have read says that they are some of the most private in Tahiti. When do you go?

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 06:55 AM
judy

Tiffany,<BR> Thanks for your response.....we are looking at the second week of April. Still waiting for some price quotes from several travel agents. Wonder why they don't have hot water in the jacuzzi?

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 07:41 AM
Louise

We stayed at Kia Ora just over a year ago. The beach bungalows were being remodeled and the ones completed were lovely. Can't answer you about the hot tubs though as we had a garden bungalow which were next on the remodeling agenda. I can say I was absolutely fascinated watching the rays swim all around the supports of the walkway leading to the o/w bures. Would loved to have been in an o/w. Snorkeling o.k. but better other places in the area. We ate all our meals at the resort and never ventured from there as you would need transportation and we are not bicyclers. I was glad we got a package for our meals which by the way were excellent. Met a few Americans but most visitors were French. The most fantastic part of being there was snorkeling through the passes from the ocean into the lagoon which is huge. You shoot through so fast and after going through one of them I looked up to find myself about a half mile from land. Good thing the boat was there to pick me up as I felt a bit panicky. A wonderful experience there all in all.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 04:42 AM
PegLegPete

Judy, no hot water in the jacussi's!! Water is an extremely precious commodity on Rangiroa. As remote as the Tuamoto's are, you should be prepared to "rough it" just a little when you venture out to these outer islands. Don't be surprised if the water in the jacuzzi is salt. Your showers are. Rangi is not like the "High" islands of BB, Moorea, Kaui, etc. It is basically a flat spit of sand, rarely exceeding a few meters in elevation. There is little if any natural water, just what the rains bring.<BR>There are several other places to eat on the main island, which is only 6 miles long. But you would have to get out and seek them out. Bike, moped, walk, etc.<BR>Be prepared, that as you get farther away from the more popular high islands, there are less ammenities and tourist type activities. We should really not want it any other way. Do more research so you won't be disappointed. Have a good trip!

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 05:27 AM
Louise

Don't let the above poster give you a bad impression about Kia Ora which I am sure he doesn't mean to imply. That is what came across to me anyway. It is a first class resort with wonderful food and accomodations. The shower water is not salt!!! They also have various excursions which you may take.