QLD travel or not????

Old Mar 23rd, 2020, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

QLD travel or not????

We live on the Gold Coast and were ready to head off with our camper trailer up north when the news broke about non-essential travel. To my mind it would be like a self isolation but we can get no definitive answer as to whether we can travel or not.
What are your thoughts. Would you go or not???
Old Mar 23rd, 2020, 05:02 PM

It sounds like you're not going to cross a state border so you could still go. But I wouldn't. So many things are closed, even caravan parks may shut down if there is no demand. Getting supplies will be harder than normal. I'm not sure exactly what the latest is on non-essential travel so I did hear the premier say no one should be taking holidays at present.
Old Mar 23rd, 2020, 06:25 PM

We got a similar order here in New Zealand last Saturday. We were 5 minutes away from our campground that we were going to stay in. We turned around and came home. Since then the Prime Minister has asked us all to stay in isolation for the next four weeks. So even if you do go away, the situation may change within a few hours. I would not go.
Old Mar 24th, 2020, 12:28 AM

I agree with KayF and Nelsonian, don't vacation now in the midst of a pandemic and they cite good reasons to not to do so. I just read that in the last 24 hours Queensland recorded another 78 cases, reaching a total of 397 cases.
Imagine if you had asymptomatic Covid-19. On your way up north, you'd fill up on petrol, buy groceries, maybe use an ATM. Some forgetful person, maybe an older person of higher risk, comes along and touches what you've touched and catches what you've got. I'm sure you wouldn't want that.
Or imagine catching Covid-19 because you touched what those who were infected with the virus touched when they bought groceries, filled up on petrol, or used an ATM? Or what if you set your shopping bag down on a surface someone with coronavirus coughed on, then you later touched this same surface, then absentmindedly touched your face? Reportedly, the Covid-19 virus can remain viable in the air for up to 3 hours, on copper for up to 4 hours, on cardboard up to 24 hours and on plastic and stainless steel up to 72 hours.
It would also be much harder to do contact tracing on you if you moved around.

Survival is more important than vacation. Live to enjoy future vacations.
I live on the South Island of New Zealand, where it's already so cold and wet. I'd love to be on the Gold Coast right now.

Last edited by Diamantina; Mar 24th, 2020 at 12:34 AM.
Old Mar 24th, 2020, 12:46 AM

Stay home.

Imagine the scenario above & you accidentally infected someone who’d just finished a gruelling chemo regime & was looking forward to living their second chance life in health.

So many people come to the Gold Coast on holidays- we’re lucky enough to live here. Let’s stay home & enjoy being in this gorgeous place now.

I had a couple of trips planned too- but they will wait.
Old Apr 1st, 2020, 02:41 AM

in Victoria we are not allowed to go to our holiday homes or do non essential travel.. For a start Many regional places do not have the health facilities to cope with extras .
Stay home.
Old Apr 1st, 2020, 03:02 PM

Hi Northie,

I’ve moved to the northern end of the Gold Coast & we’re on “ essential travel only” here now, too.

Whilst food shopping & exercise are counted as essential - I don’t think that does/ should mean travelling out of your area & especially not to small regional areas.

There’s a # “ Surf in your own postcode” - I think we should all adhere to that, whether we’re Surfers or not.