where to stay in queenstown

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be coming to Queenstown at the end of May. I need some suggestions for hotels,priced no more than $200 USD per night for 3 people, preferably with a nice view.
Thanks!
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 07:00 PM

Kristylyn: We enjoyed renting a 1-bedroom apartment for 3 nights for $240 NZ, which is about $167 USA. We had the 1-bedroom lake-front apartment at Villa del Lago, which is about a 20-minute brisk walk along the lake front from downtown Queenstown. (You can also drive into town, but then you hassle with finding parking.) The apartment includes a kitchen, and a small washer and dryer in your apartment. Good luck!
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 12:22 AM

Hi

Mellissa and I posted our trip reports around the same time ( see for more details)-and I trust her judgement- although we did stay at a different place.

I booked oaks shores apartments on wotif for $250 NZ per night ( check www.xe.com for conversion) plus rollaway - for 2 bedroom deluxe apartment for 2 nights- included two bathrooms, plasma tv X2, great sound system, kitchen, washing machine/dryer, large comfortable sofas, great balcony with a table and chairs looking out to the lake.

Ask for a room on the left side of the building( if facing the lake) because it means you are at the end of the building and thus no passing movements-very quiet- I think ours was number 706 or maybe 705.

A short drive to the centre of Queenstown -about 2-3 mins or a 20 mins plus walk- but a lovely retreat after the madding crowds of the centre of Queenstown

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 06:11 AM
Jed

How many bedrooms and bathrooms do you need?
Do you want to stay in town or on the lake?
Do you want hotel rooms or an apartment?
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

We will only be staying in Queenstown 3 nights, since we will have already spent 7 days in Sydney. One room is fine, 2 would be nice. It doesn't have to be on the lake, but a nice view of the lake and the mountains would be great. I just want to be sure we're close to the tour companies or that they can come to our location to pick us up.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 08:02 AM

We just returned from beautiful NZ on Saturday (3/24th). I am not sure of the prices (we were fortunate enough to have the lodging paid for as a gift), but we stayed at the Heritage Queenstown. It was wonderful. We did not have a rental car, but there was a bus (at no charge) that went between the hotel and downtown. If the price is in your range, I would definitely recommend this place. If I ever stop yawning, I plan to post a trip report soon. =O
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 03:31 PM

My husband and daughter were very happy with Oaks Shore in Queenstown as well. They picked up an excellent deal on wotif.com.au. They had a lovely view but, as mentioned, it is a reasonable walk into town if that is of concern to you.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips. I will look into those. Does anyone know anything about Brown's Boutique hotel in Queenstown?
Thanks!
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 10:53 AM

We spent 1 night at Brown's Boutique Hotel in Queenstown at the end of our trip before flying home. It is located near the gondola so has a good location to walk into town. The staff is excellent and provides good service. However, we had a problem which bothered me a lot. Our shower leaked a big puddle on the floor each time either of us showered. The puddle of shower water gathered all around the toilet, which was right next to the shower. The staff did clean up the puddle as soon as we reported it. But they also let us know they already knew about the leaky shower. I explained to staff that the cause of the leak was that the water leaks underneath the glass shower door which sits on top of the tub. But their response was basically, we know, but it can't be fixed...what do you mean it can't be fixed? Just get a shower rod and regular curtain! That would be a cheap solution. So, why haven't the owners fixed it yet? I hope they will! When you pay $280 in hopes of a romantic night on your anniversary trip, a leaky shower is just not romantic. The room was small, but nicely appointed, and had a nice view. If they would just fix the leaky shower, I would say it would be a convenient and romantic choice. I am not talking about a little water here, I am talking about a large amount of water, too much to clean up with your towels. Enough water to get the hem of your pants wet while you are in the bathroom.
Okay, Kristylyn, sorry for ranting a bit here, but I was frustrated. this was our anniversary trip, and I felt I had spent extra on that $280 NZ room in order to have a romantic memory. I was disappointed.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 04:43 PM

We just returned from NZ and stayed at the Peppers Beacon which was an outstanding location. The view alone was worth the money--outstanding!!! This property was formally the Outrigger at the Beacon. We shared a very roomy 2 bedroom/2 bathroom with friends which made the price very doable. I would recommend both a lakefront accomodation and one within walking distance to restaurants and attractions. I really liked the area.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 06:39 PM

We loved Browns and had absolutely no problems. Highly recommended and we will be returning!

Liz
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 08:07 PM

We just returned from NZ in late March and stayed in the Turner Townhouse - just a walk down the hill to town center, with great view from our unit, which was a 2 bedroom with all amenities including Washer/dryer .

If you have trouble walking then be aware it was a short but steep climb to the complex, but you are rewarded with a view.

We would stay there again.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 11:18 AM

We stayed at the Alexis Lodge, and loved it. We were there for 4 nights, and had a lovely end unit with an amazing view on the top floor. It is modern, impecably clean and with very nice owners. They even held our room for us at no charge (and we were able to keep our bags there) while we drove to Te Anau for one night to go see Milford! Then we returned to Qtn for the rest of our stay. It is about a 5-8 minute walk into the main strip in town, which was just perfect for us.
http://www.alexisqueenstown.co.nz/
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 08:00 PM

Hey Kristylyn. There's a pretty good list of New Zealand accommodation at http://www.wotif.com/hotels/new-zealand-hotels.html... from there you can navigate to Queenstown and place price restrictions on it.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 08:01 PM

Whoops, just saw I put those dots in so you can't click through to it. Here it is again: http://www.wotif.com/hotels/new-zealand-hotels.html