Pt. Douglas Overnight Scuba Dive Tours

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2003, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm considering doing an overnight (1 nighter) scuba diving tour, but don't know which tour company to look into. Any suggestions on companies, and where they go to? Thanks.

Donna
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 03:34 PM

Dear Donna, Try

www.downunderdive.com.au
check under Atlantic Clipper
and
www.reeftrip .com
for Reef Endeavor

Reef endeavor was recommended by the folks who run the Solway Lass in the Whitsundays.

We are going to try one of them next April- May so would appreciate hearing about your experience.

Happy sailing

AndrewDavid
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Hi AndrewDavid,

Thanks for the info. The price for Atlantic Clipper listed under downunderdive.com.au was the same as it was listed under diversionoz.com.. 290/AUD. This is for 2day/1night dives. However, I think you get one extra dive by going with Ocean Quest, for the same price. And if you want a twin room (instead of quad room), you only pay 15/AUD extra per person/per night.. whereas on Atlantic Clipper, it's 20.

On reeftrip.com under Reef Endeavor, the price was 370/AUD. 5 day dives, 1 night dive. Too rich for my blood. I'll stick with the 290.

Although some tours will transfer you from Port Douglas, they charge for it too. I couldn't find any that operate out of Port Douglas. So, I'm going to cancel my accomodations in Port Douglas, and stay in Cairns. Won't have to get up so early for the flight to the Outback either. To hear from me again on how our diving went, my email is [email protected]. That's my dog's name, Nakia, then "sh" for Siberian Husky. Enjoy your trip as well.

Donna
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

... I forgot to mention that, yes, there are tours based out of Port Douglas.. but none that would accomodate my schedule/budget.
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 07:38 PM

Hi Donna, Thanks for the info but is Ocen Quest a different boat, or a site (if so what's the address) for booking Atlantic Clipper at a lower rate for twinCabin?
When are you going. Weare thinking of late next April as part of a one month OZ trip.

Thanks, AndrewDavid
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 08:25 PM
Original Poster

Hello AndrewDavid,

Ocean Quest is a different boat. I'm sure you can find out about it on several travel agents' web sites. I saw it on

diversionOZ.com/en/liveaboards.htm

Ocean Quest cost the same as Atlantic Clipper (290.00), but it appeared as though there was one fewer dive on Atlantic Clipper. And if you wanted to upgrade to a twin room on Atlantic Clipper, it costs 20/AUD, compared to 15/AUD on Ocean Quest. Perhaps not much of a difference depending on where you're coming from.

I wish I could spend more days diving, because there are some good tours out there that go to different places. Depends where you stay (Cairns/Pt. Douglas), and your budget. This trip for me is a gift to my 13-year-old niece, so we're trying to fit alot more into this trip than just diving.

I like the diversionOZ.com website, because it gives alot of info about the GBR diving regions, what's going on at the reef during particular seasons (ie. migrating Minke and humpback whales in June-July), which vessels go where, etc. My niece and I will be departing for Oz this Monday (16th), and only have 2 weeks. Wish we had a month! Enjoy your stay.

Donna
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 06:20 AM

Dear Donna,
Buon viaggio. I hope you and your neice have a wonderful time. I'mm sure all of us will look forward to hearing our your trip was after you've recovered. Thanks for your information.

AndrewDavid