prescription dive mask experience

Old Jun 6th, 2004, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
prescription dive mask experience

Hi, fellow snorkelers, any baby boomers out there that have my problem of needing glasses to see both far AND near? Up to now I have had little D-shaped inserts for my snorkel goggles to see the fish and the natural maginification of the water has been adequate. But now my prescription has gone worse and I was wondering if anyone has used any brands/types of corrective lens that actually work. I understand that dive boats have Rx masks to rent, but I was wondering if my correction (1.50 on top, 3.50 on bottom) combined with a small face could be found. Any experience?
Thanks--I want to SEE the fish!
Sally in Seattle
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 10:29 AM

Hi, Sally - I live very close to you. Same problem you have and I have been waiting until an eye appointment the end of the month and then it will be off to get a special mask. My neighbor just went to a local dive shop and he said he got a prescription mask for about $80. Seems like a good idea to me!! I want to see the fish also.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Sunnyboy

I know several people who have masks with perscription lens. Just bring your prescription to any reputable dive shop and you'll have a mask with the correct lens in a few days. This is very common and done all the time - I don't need it yet but my friend who has one says it is worth every peny.

Old Jun 7th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Sunnyboy

Sorry for the typo - the last sentance should read "... worth every penny."

Old Jun 8th, 2004, 09:43 PM

Definitely worth every penny! I didn't get my exact prescription since my eyes aren't terrible...but I got the ones that help a range. With the lightest prescription, I was able to enjoy the experience so much more.

On a funny side note, my ex-corker, who is pretty blind lost his glasses and didn't have a back up pair. He wore his snorkeling mask to work to help him see. (He was always an interesting cookie).