Search

Please help with Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2005, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help with Itinerary

We've got 2 weeks on Oz at the end of June to visit our kids near Sydney. Our intention is to fly to Sydney - spend a few days there and then the six of us fly to Cairns. Pick up a car and spend the rest of the time exploring Cairns to Brisbane. Other than wanting to spend a day or so on the Great Barrier Reef, how should we plan our time and what else should we do? Thanks for any assistance.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 04:11 PM

Before you head south from Cairns to Brisbane, don't forget to spend at least a day north of Cairns in Daintree around Cape Tribulation. You can drive yourself as far as Cape Trib., but will get so much more out of experience with knowledgeable guide. Also give the Atherton Tableland, just west of Cairns a night or two and if time permits head further south west to Undara Lava (outback) tubes for an overnight stop. Come back through the Tableland town of Malanda and head down to Innisfail on the Palmerston Highway. This puts you back on Bruce Highway heading south, between there and Brisbane. From there on you have Mission Beach with access to Dunk Island, Hinchinbrook Island, Townsville & Magnetic Island, Bowen, Airlie Beach, the gateway to Whitsunday Islands. Mackay to Rockhampton is a tedious leg, Great Keppel island off Yepoon near Rockhampton is unspoilt with long beaches. Then you've got the lovely beach Town of 1770, Fraser Island, Sunshine Coast before Brisbane. You won't have time for all so these are just coastal choices off Bruce Highway, don't forget the further south you go in June/July, the cooler the weather will be.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help, Pat. I'll certainly take your suggestions into account
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 05:31 AM

John...Cairns-Brisbane is over 1000 miles. The major attractions are often well off the main road and take time and effort to see. My concern is that, given the time you have, you may spread yourself too thin. As Pat alludes to, there are lots of wonderful things to do/see in the greater Cairns area, not just the Barrier Reef. Same goes for the general Brisbane area, but in June, I'd stick to North Queensland. Thus I'd suggest flying in and out of Cairns or alternatively driving south only as far as Townsville or Mackay. I think you'll see more and have much more relaxed trip that way.
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 10:28 AM

We drove up from Brisbane and flew back down from Cairns and loved the drive. One of the best things was Fraser Island but it may be too cold in June. Cape Tribulation and the Whitsundays were also great.
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 11:06 AM

Fraser's a great island, even in June. Definitely worth a few days. However, if you're driving all the way from Cairns with just 10 days or so, you have to make tough choices. In this case, I'd recommend cutting the driving down, and maybe seeing a different island instead. Hinchinbrook Island, between Townsville and Cairns would be one of my top choices.
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 01:49 PM

I don't have much to add to the excellent advice already given. If you're coming from the US, be aware that the road from Cairns to Brisbane is not like our interstate highways. You won't be going 75 mph very often. Give yourself plenty of time and watch out for the wildlife if you have to drive at night.