Reload this Page >

planning a trip to Malaysia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 1998, 11:04 PM
Francesco

I'm planning a trip to Malaysia and Singapore. I'm looking for some information about places to visit. Could you suggest me also where to sleep and where to aet? How about the pubblic transports? Do you suggest me to rent a car? Does it cost a lot?
Is international licence necessary?

Old Jun 29th, 1998, 08:12 AM
Jane Price-Hunt

I have just come back from my honeymoon in Malaysia, which was wonderful. We stayed in Kuala Lumpur and Penang. Both places are easy to get around by bus or taxi. Taxi's are very cheap (min fare RM 2) and very easy to hail in the street. The weather is gorgeous and hot, around 35 degress by day and 23 by night. In Kuala Lumpur, there are city tours and craft centres to visit, as well as KL Tower and the Petronas Towers. In Penang, the hotels are lovely, but the sea is a bit murky and you can't really swim. However, the Butterfly Farms, Tropical Fruit Farms and the Kok Lek Si Temple is amazing. Good luck with your trip. Jane <BR>

Old Jul 3rd, 1998, 10:27 AM
Lorraine Phun

Francesco, <BR> <BR>The public transport in Malaysia, esp from north to south on the west coast of peninsular Malaysia, is very good. Frequent air-conditioned express buses, no need to rent a car. <BR> <BR>There are many budget hotels at an affordable price, i think they cost about RM35 upwards. With the econ. downturn, most hotels are offering special offers at this time, e.g. a double room at some 2 star hotels are going for RM88. <BR> <BR>You should have no problem with accommodation at this time of the year as it is not a holiday season here . But in Sept, it will be crowded with the Commonwealth Games. <BR> <BR>Hope you enjoy yourself. <BR>

Old Jul 3rd, 1998, 05:43 PM
Alicia

Hi, <BR> <BR>In Singapore the YMCA at Orchard Road is good value and has a great location. I would also recommend the brand new but higher-priced Grand Plaza Hotel. Both can be found at http://www.asiatravel.com/singapore.html. The expensive Westin Stamford is the most convenient hotel in Singapore. Avoid Chinatown and Marina area as both have been turned into construction sites. The House of Mao at China Food Square is the coolest theme restaurant in Singapore. A visit to Boon Tat Street for Singapore's best satay is a must. The Boat Quay has an interesting array of restaurants and pubs. The best kept secret is the dim sum buffet at Garden Seafood Restaurant in Goodwood Park Hotel. It is served only on Sunday mornings from 8 am, and for S$13.80 you can choose as many as you like from a variety of 30 dim sum dishes. <BR> <BR>It is not advisable to drive in Singapore as there are many unique traffic rules here and you can be easily hit with a hefty fine, for example, if you drive into the wrong area at the wrong time. Its much better to take the taxi. <BR> <BR>For Malaysia most people will recommend Malacca, Kuala Lumpur and Penang. However these are not places I like to go back to. I would recommend Cameron Highlands, Taman Negara and the islands on the East Coast. Tioman is overdeveloped and the water is not as clear as before. Pulau Redang and Pulau Perhentian may be better. <BR>

Old Jul 5th, 1998, 09:48 AM
Tom Louchard

Perhentian Island on the east coast is a very nice destination. We were there a month ago, and at about RM120/night for an AirCon double room, it was pretty reasonable. Don't expect Hyatt, or even Holiday Inn, but they have a good dive shop, and we went on a 4 hour snorkling trip that cost RM$12 each, and it was only the two of us! The water is pretty clear (30 to 40 feet visibility)and since it is a protected area, there are lots of fish (bring bread along.) Ferries (read small boats) run from the mainland to the island several times a day (last one goes out about 2:00pm), take the fast boat, RM$5.00 more but 30 min instead of 1.5 hr. <BR> As stated in another post, watch out for KL during the Commonwealth games. Hotel gouging is illegal but you know. <BR> Penang is nice (I'm here for two years), but the ocean is murkey and not real healthy to swim in. The food is great and cheap if you go to the hawker stalls. And if you play Ultimate Frisbee, I'll even put you up for a few days!