Search

Places to stay in Bali

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 1998, 01:19 PM
John

Places to stay in Bali

I would appreciate any suggestions people have on budget accomodations in Bali. I was thinking of staying near Kuta Beach. Thanks!

Old May 4th, 1998, 09:16 PM
gladys

Just returned from Bali. We stayed around the Kuta Beach area and one hotel you definately NOT want to go is the KUTA BEACH CLUB. We spent a horrifying one night there. The towels were not washed, we took a sniff and it smelled bad. The sheets were stained and there were someone else's hair on it. My friend's bed had ants crawling on it. The A/C did not work properly and it was also leaking. Our room key opened another room! So much for security.

There are lots of accomodation in the Kuta beach area. And you can negotiate the rates very easily. The Hard Rock Beach Club resort is opening in a couple of weeks and it looks really nice and it is at a good location.

Old May 4th, 1998, 09:17 PM
gladys

Just returned from Bali. We stayed around the Kuta Beach area and one hotel you definately NOT want to go is the KUTA BEACH CLUB. We spent a horrifying one night there. The towels were not washed, we took a sniff and it smelled bad. The sheets were stained and there were someone else's hair on it. My friend's bed had ants crawling on it. The A/C did not work properly and it was also leaking. Our room key opened another room! So much for security.

There are lots of accomodation in the Kuta beach area. And you can negotiate the rates very easily. The Hard Rock Beach Club resort is opening in a couple of weeks and it looks really nice and it is at a good location.

Old May 5th, 1998, 06:51 PM
Ann

I was in Bali 21 years ago. I went to Ubud, which, by my reading, was the center. I found hotels charging $20 American a night (1977 - that would be a lot more) but insisted that my travel guide said I could get one for $2. I found one - the owner of the hotel was named Alit (ah-leet). I don't remember his last name. He had little cottages next to his main hotel (which was a palace). He was a wonderful host; he prepared our meals, had his servants wash our clothes, and arranged tours for us. If you really want to see Bali, go to Ubud, not to the beach. Alit had a brother who ran hotels at the beach. His brother joined us for our last feast, and said he loved to give people a tour where they started at the beach and then went to Ubud. The beach is just a beach. Ubud is the center of Bali. Stay in Ubud!

Old May 25th, 1998, 03:21 AM
ian dunn

definately keep out if kuta a really bad hole to stay select sanur ubud or nusa dua

Old Jun 7th, 1998, 04:23 PM
Rachel Ratliff

I agree - avoid Kuta Beach unless you're into foreign tourist nightlife thing. we stayed at a great place in Ubud called the hotel Campuhan (I think spelling is correct). Beautiful views of river valley - nice rooms. Good price (don't remember exactly). It's not in the class of the mega-expensive hotels, but really nice mid-range hotel. You should definitely snorkel or dive along the north coast of Bali - amazing! And visit the big active volcano in the middle of Bali (forget name). truly amazing to climb it and listen - if you like the risk.

Old Jun 22nd, 1998, 07:11 PM
Carol Austin

I agree wholeheartedly with Rachel. Stay in Ubud; Kuta Beach is a dreadful hole. We stayed at the Campuhan one night; it was nice. Then we moved to one of the home-stay places listed in Lonely Planet (forget the name) which was heaven, walking distance to one of the dance theaters, and very cheap. Eat at Wayan's Place. The north shore of Bali is lovely too. <BR>