Pier One parkroyal or Renaissance in Sydney??

Jun 28th, 2001, 10:21 AM
Marcia

Pier One parkroyal or Renaissance in Sydney??

We are taking a trip that we have saved for for many years and can't decide on which hotel in Sydney for our 5 nights to stay at. I haven't seen any personal info on Pier One but it sounds interesting. Rates for water view rm ( no bfkst)about the same as Club view (with cont. Bkfst) harbour view at Renaissance. If you have stayed at Pier One let me know?? Is it as centralized as Renaissance? Also, still trying to decide on where to stay on 4 nights in Cairns area. We would prefer not to drive and want a beautiful view. Suggestions very much appreciated!!!

Jun 28th, 2001, 10:47 PM
Leslie

Hi Marcia -

Can't help w/ the Sydney question, but I would recommend staying in Pt. Douglas (just 60 k's Nth of Cairns). We recently stayed at the Sheraton Mirage. Rooms were ok - resort was fantastic, but a bit out of town. There was a bus that ran hrly to & from town. I would search on the internet to see what other types of accom. there are. We saw many many apts for rent. I wouldn't recommend staying in Cairns (in my opinion).

Jun 29th, 2001, 12:26 AM
LCUY

we stayed in Palm Cove. there is a bus there, but as there were 4 of us, it was cheaper and easier to rent a car. It was very convenient to many sights and to Cairns, but we found the town/ resort was too quiet. in addition, the weather was rainy and gray.
I DO NOT recommend the place we stayed..villa paradiso-was only so so clean, and the management was something else...they raked up the concrete at 6 am, ran the sprinklers at 5am, and were very unhelpful. The pool was dark, small, and full of leaves. Lots of things in our unit were broken, including the front shutters leaving our living room exposed to all on the street below), and the light switch that shocked my husband. All this for AU$256 night!
The Sebel reef house and Marriot Courtyards were much nicer, but truthfully, I thought Port Douglas was a lot more fun and lively. Lots of good food, entertainment, and shopping, but it still looked like a beach resort. It wasn't that much farther from Cairns, and was closer to the rainforest.

Jun 29th, 2001, 03:45 AM
COUPE

Pier One made quite an impact when it appeared on the scene. It's at the foot of the Rocks. Incidently, you will not have any problems with distance, as it is convenient for most things - especially views. I hope you have a great time in my home town.

Here's a review from an online travel guide: www.citysearch.com.au

We are staying at the hotel with the glass floor. That was all I had heard about Pier One Parkroyal and it was enough to make me reach for the phone to make a booking. There's nothing like a design gimmick to suck one in to an expensive weekend away.
How was it done? A floor made entirely of glass would surely show some very interesting Sydney Harbour flotsam and jetsam.
Drive along Hickson Road from Darling Harbour and the city switches from downtown corporate to old world Sydney with the vast sandstone walls dwarfing traffic and pedestrians. The first wharf in the line along Hickson Road, Pier One juts out into the harbour right under the great span of the Harbour Bridge.
We arrive in time for our 2pm check-in and the staff are there on the street to open the car door and take our bags. After a few moments chatting about how awful the weather is, we're ushered into the foyer. And there's no glass floor! It's all very nice, a marble-free zone, more groovy than grand, but where is the glass? The whole space feels more like a boutique hotel than the 164-room new member of the Parkroyal family.
As we're shown to our room I catch a glint of glass and there it is - a transparent square set in the brush box floor surrounded by cubes and a few low tables. The water looks wonderfully inky, but the novelty of staring at water through dark glass wears off in about three seconds.
The hotel opened last month and the four-storey structure is an excellent example of smart re-use of one of the 1912 Walsh Bay wharves. The architects Crone and Associates and design firm Davenport Campbell, which began the restoration of the pier in 1998, have stuck to strict heritage guidelines and managed to create a modern space that feels wonderfully intimate.
Our room isn't huge but the ceiling is very high, giving it a loft-like feel.

Jul 2nd, 2001, 06:18 PM
steve

Marcia - We stayed at the Renaissance and were delighted with the location, the room and the service. The rate was reasonable for the location. Have Fun