Search

Perth area travel tips

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 02:53 AM
Brian

Perth area travel tips

Wife and I staying in Perth area for 3 weeks in March. Never been there before. Would like tips on sights to see, fine restaurants, best wineries, etc., -- all within a 250 mile radius of Perth (we may visit as far south as Albany.)

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 09:02 PM
marg

Definitely the Margaret River area for good food, wine, scenery, etc etc.<BR>An interesting day trip north of Perth is New Norcia - I think it took us about 2 hours each way. It was founded by monks about 150 years ago and has the original monastry, plus old churches, schools, etc. Very interesting place.<BR>If you are into old cars, the little town of York has a really good car museum (I'm not into cars but even I found it interesting) plus York is a quaint little town with eating places, antiques, etc.<BR>Fremantle is another must - great maritime museum, plus good history museum, plus lots of places to shop and eat.<BR>Another good day out is to take a boat trip along the Swan to some of the wineries.<BR>Hope you have a great time.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 02:18 AM
Rhonda

Don't forget to include Rottnest Island!<BR><BR>North of Perth (about 10 hours away I think) is Monkey Mia, where wild dolphins come in to the bay to be fed by tourists. There's nothing much else around and I know its further than your 250 mile radius, but it's the one place I wish I'd been to but didn't when I lived in Perth for 18 months years ago.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 10:00 AM
pj

Perth is my home town and favourite place to return to, you will not be disappointed. I get back every two years and just have a blast. Your 3 weeks will ge too fast.<BR>So for the tourist the following list should help.<BR>Rottnest Island<BR>Bunbury Dolphins<BR>Monkey Mia Dolphins<BR>Kalbarri<BR>Margaret River<BR>York<BR>Kalgoorlie<BR>Albany<BR>Esperance <BR>Pinancles<BR><BR>We always rent a car from Bayswater Hire Car, they have the best prices of the larger companies, get a car with AC. Gonna be nice and warm in March.<BR><BR>As for eating, you just go for it. We always eat tons of seafood. Try fish and chips down at Fishermans Wharf, Freo. Meat pies from any bakery are great. The ones at Rottnest and Margaret River are great. You should be able to find Kangaroo and Emu on some menus, personally I prefer the roo. There are great ethenic restaurants, we love Chinese, Italian, Greek and French. Be brave just go out and find them. Many good eateries are found in the good ole Aussie pub, which are all over. A growing trend is the wineries are getting into lunches and dinner - do not pass one up. Expect a meal to take 3 hours, several courses and many bottles of wine. The best wineries are in the Swan Valley (Perth) or down in Margaret River area.<BR>Good luck, email with any further questions<BR>PJ

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 06:53 PM
marg

Monkey Mia is a long way from Perth - I know - I've driven it. I believe you can see wild dolphins at Bunbury, just south of Perth and much easier to get to.