Penguin Parade - best tour company?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a family of 4 adults and 2 children, ages 4 years and 5 months. We'd like to get reserved seating at the Penguin Parade so that we don't have to wait in the potential cold just to save good seats. Which tour company out of Melbourne has reserved seats, especially upfront seats?
Thanks
Sue
Old Nov 25th, 2010, 02:08 AM

I did a quick google and came up with this one www.aatkings.com/au/tour.php?tour_code=K81W. I assume when it says ask about Platform Viewing that means reserved seating. However, with 4 adults it will be very pricey. Of course, it offers a lot more than just the penguins which your 4 year old would love, but even so still very expensive.

Any of the day tours (reserved seating or not) will cost a considerable amount as you obviously will need to pay per person. I would seriously consider just hiring a car for the day for a fraction of the price and just purchase which ever level of seating you want when you get there. If you intend to be travelling during peak season you can book ahead. See http://www.penguins.org.au/.

As you can see there are a number of different options for seeing the penguins, some of which are probably not available on a package tour. It is a very easy drive from the city down to the Island, allow about 2 hours without any stopping. There is no reason why you can't include some of the things that were on the day tour on the way and make a whole day of it. Even if you just drive straight to the island in the morning, there is quite enough on the Island to keep you entertained all day until it is time to see the penguins.
Old Nov 25th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks shandy. I'm also looking at the site for Phillip Island Nature Parks. They offer a "Penquins Plus" ticket for a stand where "approximately 50 per cent of all penquins cross the beach". Cost is $40 for adults and $20 for children. That works for us. And, we could drive there. I might do that one unless I hear from anyone else on this forum about tours out of Melbourne that would save us the driving and still provide reserved up-front seating.
Sue
Old Nov 25th, 2010, 05:32 PM

I had another look and it appears the half day tour with AAT at $108 per adult (starts at 3pm or 5pm depending on the year) also gives you the option to upgrade the seating for the penguins. It seems that it basically just does the penguins.

There is also another day tour with www.gowest.com.au and the website is set up so that you can book for the "Penguin Plus" ticket for another $15 per person.

Of course, if price is an issue, the drive yourself option still remains by far the cheapest.

Also keep in mind that, to a fair extent, the best part of the penguin parade is after everyone has left their seats and wanders very slowly back to the visitors centre and you can get up quite close to them as they find their burrows. I've no idea what time of the year you are travelling but unless you are travelling over summer or school holidays there may not be a lot of people there anyway so the regular stands are just as good. I would ask the staff at the Centre what they advise as to visitor numbers when you get there. Regardless, if you are only ever going to see them once, I would probably pay an extra $15-$20 per person for the Penguin Plus unless the staff says there are going to be very few people. Also it is nice to be able to talk to the Ranger and ask questions in a smaller group.
Old Nov 26th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

We'll be there in summer, about third week in February.
Thanks again for the links!!
Sue
Old Nov 27th, 2010, 02:50 PM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Just make sure that you sit at the end of the row rather than in the middle. The penguins go right alongside the ends of the stand. Even if you are in the front row you still want to be on the end.
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 05:20 PM

I've never done a tour, but we just took visiting family down there a couple of weeks ago, so I can visualize that "platform" they're talking about. I don't think it could seat more than about 8-10 people, tops.. so do hurry if that's your decision. It IS right above one of the pathways the penguins followed. My mom sat in the handicapped area right on the same pathway and saw a lot of them there. The rest of the seating is concrete steps/bleachers along the beach. I can't imagine those seats being "reserved" in anyway. Nelsonian is right about sitting at the ends. We didn't - but only because we had kids along and the penguins can be kind of skittish about movement and such.

If you get there early, visiting the Nobbies (scenic outlook, info center and cafe) is a way to pass some time.

Best time on that trip though, was stopping enroute at a roadside attraction on the way where we fed and patted kangaroos (including mothers with joeys in pouches), koalas, wombats and such. Despite the animals being well cared for it was kind of a cheesy affair, of the Florida roadside variety, but...