COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

packing help, weather, etc for south island mid may to june

Old Apr 28th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Going to New Zealand very soon. never been, not sure what to expect for weather and how i should pack. just plan on doing a bit of hiking, kayaking, glaciers, but nothing too crazy. Thanks for any input
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 02:34 AM

Be getting a bit cooler down there Kevin, especially at night and possibility of snow at altitude, sleet or rain lower and some cold southerly winds already on the way given Victoria has already had some high country snow and cooler air pudhes all the way up to Queensland when that happens.

With outdoor interests you no doubt know all about layering and I'd certainly have my explorer socks, a good outdoor jacket and even some thermals along, good to wear under an outer top even when kayaking if you have the typoe that'll keep air cells close to skin to trap body heat even when wet.
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 06:14 PM

Yep. Go for layers, and a warm hat and windproof/waterproof jacket.
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 08:40 AM

I was there April 22 -25 2009 to do Queen Charlotte hike in the Picton area in south island and yes starting to get cool.
For the hikes I wore long sleeves, layers like everyone said.
Also the hotels are not that warm. There was a heater but did not heat the whole room, thus sometimes I was cool at night.
Also it rained one day so I was glad to have a warm waterproof jacket.
Old May 1st, 2009, 11:37 AM

Pack for rain and snow. It may also be windy, and occasionally there may be sun.
Old May 1st, 2009, 11:45 PM

We were there in June and July in a campervan and the weather was really very variable but uniformly cold at night in the van! We bought merino base layers in NZ which were incredible and relly very good value (1/3 of the price in the UK). I also bought a North Face rain jacket and fleece which was also a lot cheaper than back home. Other essentials were fleece gloves and a warm hat