Search

Oz trip report

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2003, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oz trip report

Just back from 18 wonderful days downunder. As the laundry is piling up and the didgeridoo is beckoning, I will keep this brief.
Melbourne, 2 nights at Mercure Grand on Swanston. Great location, good hotel. Went to the zoo, Queen Victoria Markets and walked and trammed around town before picking car up to drive the great ocean road, which is not to be missed. One night in Apollo Bay at Claerwen Retreat - wonderful! One night at Comfort Inn Port Fairy - very quaint, historical place. We loved it. One night at Ann's Place in Robe, an excellent place to stay. Two nights at Medina Grand Treasury in Adelaide - this is an incredible place to stay. Barossa Valley wine tour with Banksia Adventures was a real highlight with Christopher Smyth as our guide.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Flew to Cairns and spent three nights at Sebel Reef House - disappointing due to rooms being located near open air dining room, very noisy. Would check into Angsana next time. Toured Kuranda and Tjapukai Cultural Centre as well as Daintree/Cape Trib. with Australian Pacific Tours - excellent small tour. Two nights on Dunk - loved this place. Lots of hiking or just beaching. Great food and staff. Took a trip to the reef with Quickcat which was also very good. One night at Tradewinds Esplanade in Cairns - good hotel but full of tour groups. Good location. Four nights in Sydney at Novotel Century Darling Harbour - loved the location but would not return to the hotel. Definitely needs some attention to detail here in the rooms - disappointing. Overall, we can't say enough about the country and the people. Wonderful is an understatement so for all you Aussie's out there, THANKS! for a holiday we will never forget. If any one has questions or needs some more details on places, feel free to post and I'll get back to you.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 10:06 AM

Thanks for posting.. sounds like you had a great trip.. interestingly, I just decided NOT to book at the Sebel for our trip next year.. though it sounds like rooms other then yours would have been better.. I am very glad you had a safe, wonderful trip. Thanks again!
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 01:21 PM

Hi Starfish1,
So pleased you had a good time.
We leave UK in 3 weeks and can't wait.
Anyway; can you recommend a good place to hire a car in melbourne.
I have information and websites and there are so many, a recommendation would be good.

Cheers
Muck
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Mucky,

Wow, I remember reading posts from you ages ago while planning this great adventure and thought you had already been and gone. I'm sure you will love it! As far as car hire goes we rented from Hertz, great price and no one way rental charge as we returned in Adelaide (late too and no charge). I think the rate was $175 Cdn. for four days all incl. for a Toyota Camry. Hope this helps and wishing you a great trip!
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 04:33 AM

Thanks, I guess we will look at Hertz.
One other question, did you do the penguinwaters cruise to see the penguins, I remember you talking about it a while back.
Muck
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Well, after much debate it was suggested to us from someone who had been on it that it wasn't very good. As it turned out the weather that night was awful, cold wind and rain and we made the decision not to go. Hope we didn't miss much!