OZ in October-November

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2004, 08:21 AM
MyE
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OZ in October-November

Hello

My sister and I are travelling to Australia next October-November. This is our itinerary (can't alter it, flights and hotels are already booked):

24-28 Oct. Port Douglas
29-31 Oct. Ayers Rock and Alice Springs
1-3 Nov. Adelaide and Kangaroo Island
4-7 Nov. Melbourne
8-12 Nov. Sydney

We need advise about weather conditions so to decide wich type of clothes and shoes to pack. We are worried because it seems to be great differences between these areas. Are Adelaide and Melbourne really cold at that time of the year, just cool, rainy?

We also would apprecciate information about things to do in Sydney and Melbourne (apart from Blue Mountains and Great Ocean Road, wich we have included in our plan).

And, we know it's a frequent question, but don't have it clear because apparently everybody have a different opinion about it: Are there jelly fishes in Port Douglas beaches at the end of October?

We are from Spain, so forgive any mistake it could be in our writing.

Thanks in advance, Maria and Elena
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 12:45 PM

Hola Maria y Elena! Clothes for everywhere except perhaps Melbourne should be shorts, light tops ( casual hat very important )comfortable shoes, thongs ( as in footwear) and throw in a cardigan perhaps for Melbourne in case it gets a tad chilly.
Everywhere you will be able to buy cheap, cool clothing if you need it because there is nothing worse that being too hot.
You will find that Sydney, Adelaide will be about 26 - 28 at the end of October, Port Douglas about 30, Ayers Rock and Alice Springs 32 - 34 and Melbourne between 18 degrees and 30 degrees ( think changeable Med. weather) However it could be a few degrees either way at all areas.
There has been much written about the things to do in Sydney and you could do a search for those things if you type in Alan up in the search area and see what he has said about things to do. He is one of the resident Sydney experts on the Blue Mountains as well.

Old Sep 29th, 2004, 06:27 PM

Hello Mye

Yes, there probably will be a chance of box jelly fish at Port Douglas beaches at end of October. However, you'll be safe from them on GBR - if there is any doubt the crew on your reef boat will advise if you need stinger suit which they supply. Hotels all have safe swimming pools. October is usually a great time for snorkelling - Wavelength is excellent.

For others coming later - Port Douglas has plans for building a large stinger proof lagoon near the beach, a la the one in Cairns city.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 12:15 AM
MyE
Original Poster

Gracias Liz y Pat for your reply.
Fortunately, weather conditions seems to be better than we had tought (despite the 18 to 30 degrees in Melbourne. Citizens from Melbourne, how can you manage with this completely changeable weather!)Do you think advisable to pack a light raincoat?

Pat, you have finish with our last hope to enjoy a swimming in the beaches, but well, it is not you to blame and the GBR is going to be great. In fact, we already had wavelength in mind because your previous mails and the extensive information they provide in their web site.

By the way, Liz, as you are making an inquiry about tourism in OZ, let me tell you that for us, spanish people, it is not only difficult because the distance and, consequently the price, but also if, like us, you travel by yourself, the language is a big problem. There are paractically no local tours with spanish speaking guides, wich is a pity because I presume we are going to lose a lot of information. You have a very big potential market (Spain and South America) but must pay attention to this aspect.
Hasta pronto!
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 05:10 AM

Hello mye, i agree there is little problem for spanish spealking people.

But the problem is not so bad as maybe you are thinking with the australian people so friendly and easy to make friends with.

my family was doing a big holiday in australia with my husband who does not speak any english. He thought this was the best out of all our holidats and my children also thought australia is the best.

I learned much information here at fodors with many recomendations.

send an email to [email protected] for informations on jelly fish and reefs.

We spent some days with chris who was our pilot from daintree air flying around north australia. We also go to wonderful place called roper river for my husband fishing for barramundi.

lawn hill was very special for the children with canoes and animals like kangaroos and birds.

chris took us to lizard island which was also very special. We think the reef we were swiming on there was the best we have ever seen.

Port douglas is very nice to stay, but we also enjoy very much staying in cairns and cooktown.

Kangaroo island was also very special for us for seeing many animals and lots of seals.

We have 3 nights at hotel ibis in sydney which we were also happy with.
Walking to the top of the bridge was fun but cold in august. you need some warm clothes at that time but im not sure on october.
justine.

Old Sep 30th, 2004, 11:30 AM
MyE
Original Poster

Thanks very much justine.

I have visited the daintreeair web site and it looks wonderful, but we have booked our hotel in Port Douglas for all the nights, so we can only do day tours, and to visit the reef we have decided on Wavelength. Maybe the scenic flight they offer can be a good option.
Glad to hear your husband had a great time despite the problem with the language.

We only have found one day tour with spanish speaking guide (Wooroonooran Safaris). If anyone knows about any other ones in the areas of Port Douglas, Melbourne and Sydney, please let us know. We really really would apprecciate it.
Gracias (Thanks)
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 01:04 PM

Hola
Apart from the little Spanish that I speak at present I am learning Spanish and hope at least to return to South America next year so perhaps if its in 2005 that you are coming I will be in a better state to translate for you - just joking of course.
My Spanish teacher says that there are at least 100,000 people from Uruguay in Melbourne and about the same in Sydney and I know that there are many more Argentinians, Peruvians, Spanish and Chilians in Australia so you should be able to find someone to help at least in some areas.
What about contacting the Spanish Embassy in Australia or the Australian Embassy in Spain to see if they have a list of guides etc who speak Espanol? If you do get into trouble anywhere you will find that there are interpretors everywhere and you can find those people listed in the front of our telephone books.
I don't think you should be concerned about missing too much information really because unless you are having your post translated on the web you are doing a very good job with your English expression and comprehension.
By all means bring a light rain jacket with you as everywhere except for the centre could have a little rain - although for Queensland it will not be the rainy season but Adelaide, Sydney and Melbourne will be a different matter. But for most of Australia we are praying for rain as we are in drought at present.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 01:12 PM

Here is a site with multi-language guides for Melbourne
http://www.thatsmelbourne.com.au/con...;action=search
Another idea would be if you want a guide for a specific place say in Melbourne or Sydney etc there are any number of students who would act as a language guide for you. I did this is Buenos Aires and had a great day.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 01:25 PM
sandi

We visited at the end of November into the beginning of December and only Port Douglas and Ayers Rock/Alice Springs where hot enough to wear shorts. And in the evenings we wore long pants.

The temperature in Sydney during our 5 days changed from day to day - one day it was 70-degrees (sorry I don't know the Celsius number), the next day it was over 100, the next was 55, and the remaining time was mid-70s. And Melbourne was cooler, maybe it got as high as 60 to 65-degrees. So I would suggest you also have capris, long pants, even jeans (wear these on the plane if you have weight restrictions for your Int'l flights) for your time in SYD and MEL.

Temperatures from October/November seem to be changeable, so be prepared for everything. And, of course, if you do need something you didn't bring - shop, shop - I'm sure you'll find whatever you need. Enjoy your holiday. Australia is wonderful.

Old Oct 1st, 2004, 10:56 AM
MyE
Original Poster

Thanks Sandi, We will follow your advise and if necessary, bougth some clothes (and even if not necessary).

Liz, our post is not translated, but our english is quite different when trying to speak or, what is more important, to understand, specially when it is not a face to face conversation. Thanks for your information, we have emailed to some local tour operators and are waiting for answers.

If we finally find tours with spanish speaking guide, we promise to post for those spanish speakers interested.