Oz experience bus tours

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oz experience bus tours

Hi

I am travelling from Cairnes down to Sydney between May and August this year, and I was just wondering what other people's experiences of the Oz experience buses are?
Are they air conditioned/comfotable?
How long would the journey from Cairnes to Sydney take non stop on the bus?
Do they run every day?
Are there any hidden charges?

Ta!!!!
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 01:05 PM

see - www.greyhound.com.au for timetables etc. Yes, coaches are airconditioned, modern, comfortable. You need to allow about 48hours for non-stop Cairns-Sydney. Have you considered flying? - usually works out cheaper than coach these days and only takes 3 hours.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 02:32 AM

Pat,
I think Julz is asking about the specific bus company 'Oz Experience' which is a hop-on, hop-off setup rather than a point-to-point company. So I suspect she intends spending 4 months on the journey

Julz,
try the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree forum for first hand accounts.

I've never used them myself , but I've met plenty of people who have and they are very polarized between those who love it and those who hate it.
My impression is that it's great if you are solo as it's a good way to meet other travellers and have much of the organisation handled for you.

Those who didn't like it usually complained that it was the other passengers and the 'drinking/clubbing culture' they didn't like.

The buses sometimes stop near where I live and they look modern so I guess they are all air-conditioned, but be aware the distances driven are very big and no bus is comfortable for that long.

cheers
Mike

Old Feb 7th, 2007, 04:24 AM

I recently took the Oz Experience bus from Sydney to Melbourne. We had a great tour guide, in the evening we had a choice of a hotel room or dorm room, the meals were great, and the time was well spent.

However, the tour took four days so if you are trying to get from Cairns to Sydney quickly, take the plane. The tour will stop along the way and show you the sights.

The bus that I was on held about 20 people and seemed quite modern. Yes--air conditioning.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 01:48 AM

Sorry julz, I read that as a trip direct Cairns-Sydney on coach, mind is full of it at moment as have spent much of last 5 days explaining to people that the road is cut (due to flooding) at certain points south of Cairns and both buses and trains unable to get through.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your advice. The more I'm thinking about it, the more 'package tour' it's feeling and that's not what I'm going to Aus for.. They state how it's for 'independent travellers' on their website, yet you have to stick to your route, you have to book your places days in advance, there's cancellation fees, etc! I know that this is all fair enough, and would suit some ppl, but I'm put off it as a traveller with 3 and a half months to play with!
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 12:34 AM

Three and a half months! - nice to hear.

I haven't travelled with Ozexperience, partly for the reasons you mention, but more because I don't feel the need to be shepherded around (and I'm way too old!!)

Pat has supplied the greyhound website. You can hop down the coast on that stopping here and there, and taking locally based trips to do this and that. There are plenty to choose from.

Are you spending the whole time on the east coast?
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

very unlikely, am leaving my time in australia unplanned at the moment.. i know where i'm starting/ending but not much in between, and its a nice feeling! i'm going to have a list of things I would really like to see though, then mostly leave the rest up to spontaneity! what do you think? is this what you did?