One way rental Perth to Coral Bay

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2007, 06:28 PM
cwn
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One way rental Perth to Coral Bay

Hi,

We are working on the order of our trip to Western Australia. We would like to drive the coast, Perth and Coral Bay, but ideally only one way.

Can one fly to Exmouth, rent a car and drive back to Perth or rent the car in Perth, drive to Exmouth and fly back to Perth?

I am not having too much luck on line finding a car rental company that will allow a one way rental between these to cities, at least booking on line.

Thanks
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 08:41 PM

Hi cwn,
I've just tried the exercise at www.driveaway.com.au I use this rental company all the time no matter where I am going in the world.

It seemed to allow me to do a pick up in Perth with a drop off in Exmouth.

I have found their prices to always be competitive but for me the main thing is that my car is always there and I have never had an issue of any sort with them.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 09:51 PM

The reason is that most major car hire companies, wont allow their vehicles to be driven past a certain point north. Last time I drove that road, I wasn't allowed to go past Kalbarri.
Personally, next time I would fly to Exmouth, rent from there, then fly back to Perth. Honestly, there is not a lot to see in between.
I had 2 weeks in Geraldton and that was enough. Don't drive north of Perth in their summer, it gets bloody hot, I can tell you.
Its a long drive just to see coral reefs.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 10:24 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
It's been my experience that car rental companies in Perth only allow their cars to be driven within a 500 km radius. The drive distance from Perth to Exmouth is 1,270 km.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 01:40 AM

It really ought to be possible but there's not much demand for that sort of thing!

Where is it you were thinking of stopping on the way? I guess I can probably answer that as, like Tropo says, there is not a lot to see inbetween. But what there is - is well worth it. Absolutely brilliant in fact.

So it would be Pinnacles, Kalbarri, Shark Bay, Coral Bay, Exmouth? Yes, No? Please advise.

I think I might consider - can you fly to the Shark Bay area? If you can, hire a car there and explore. Can you fly from there to Exmouth? If you can, do so, and hire a car in Exmouth and explore, and go to the Karijini maybe.

Alternatively, take a bus from A to B, do the car thing; then take a bus from B to C and do the car thing. There really are no "secret" places on that route.

Love WA - but you have to be a bit creative if you wish to travel there if you don't "own" wheels of your own.

All the best.