Reload this Page >

One way Car Rental Cairns to Port Douglas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 04:15 AM
Martin

I've been trying to find a car rental company with an office at both Cairns Airport and in Port Douglas. The big ones:Hertz,Budget etc do not seem to have an office in Port Douglas. We need a car as a one way rental for 1 day when we arrive at Cairns and want to drive to our hotel in P.D. <BR>Can anyone help me with suggestions?

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 04:27 AM
Maggie

Martin <BR>An alternative to hiring a car could be to catch one of the buses (eg Coral Coaches) that goes from the airport to Port Douglas, they will drop you at your hotel. <BR>Maggie <BR>

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 09:07 AM
Leslee

Hi Martin, <BR>I'll be curious to hear your replies. We considered car rental from Cairns into PD but decided to have someone from the hotel pick us up instead. It's a courtesy of the hotel and I thought the driver might have some interesting info to share with us along the drive. My Frommers book says Budget and Avis have offices in Port Douglas; Hertz and Thrifty do not. Maybe their information is outdated? Good luck.

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 08:59 PM
marg

Port Douglas is under an hour's drive from Cairns - it seems a waste to hire a car just for that short trip. <BR>Most hotels have a courtesy coach from the airport; there is also a public coach that picks up from the airport.

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 12:00 AM
Kay

Martin, <BR>If you particularly want to drive yourself, and not take a bus/limo/taxi, you could ask Hertz/Avis (whoever) for a one-way, one-day rental and they may agree to it and pick up the car from PD even though they don't have an office there. It would no doubt cost you extra but it does mean you can stop along the road from Cairns to PD and look at the gorgeous scenery. Palm Cove is worth stopping at, also a few turn-outs with great views of beaches. There were fast-moving large trucks on that road when we drove it so be careful and pay attention - not easy when the scenery is so beautiful, and distracting! <BR>Kay

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 03:06 PM
Matt

Avis certainly have an office in Port Douglas. We booked a car from there and were happy with the service. We booked on line and I remember seeing information about 1-way rentals between Cairns and Port Douglas. <BR>Try www.avis.com/ and navigate to the Australian site.