Search

ONE DAY IN AUCKLAND

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 1998, 02:22 AM
Belinda

ONE DAY IN AUCKLAND

I have a long stop over in Auckland on my way home.
I will arrive at 5am and leave at 4pm.
Does any one have any great ideas on what we can do?
There are two of us, and I thought of a bus tour of the city? Do you know of any that leave from the airport that are good value? Thanks

Old May 24th, 1998, 08:06 AM
Philip

Returned 2 weeks ago with similar scenario. Loved NZ - found Auckland O.K. for short visit. We rented car but think you may enjoy organized bus tour. City center looks like most other big cities. Being a sailor, we certainly enjoyed the National Maritime Museum - as you might expect right on the water. Very well done. We also found the trip to Devonport expremely nice. The town has character (Auckland city center does not) and wonderful antique and other shopping. We found NZ souvenirs that were unique and not overpriced. We ate at the Torpedo Bay Bar in the Devonport ferry. Came highly recommended and we concur. Food was very good and the outdoor deck had wonderview view. Trip to Devonport also very nice. Parnell Village back in Auckland for shopping was certainly OK but routine cute shops. Enjoy NZ - we will be back.

Old Sep 3rd, 1998, 02:48 AM
Deb

Auckland's a great city, but have you considered something a little different? <BR>A cruise out on the Hauraki Gulf or to one of the islands could be a great way to spend the day. <BR>My personal favourite is to go to Rangitoto Island. This is a volcano island in the harbour of Auckland. You can climb to the top and get beautiful veiws back to the mainland. I haven't been back to Auckland for about 2 years now but the ferries used to run frequently (from memory...someone else could probably give you more info about this). <BR>By the way....It's the "City of Sails"...spend the day on a yacht with some champagne...there are some great tours available. <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 3rd, 1998, 01:39 PM
Michael

With that amount of time - HEAD TO THE WATER! Research a trip on the harbour, eat on the waterfront, stay in view of the harbour - other than that Auckland central is like any other mid-size city.

Old Oct 5th, 1998, 02:30 AM
Mike

Nah - climb up the outside of the Sky Tower! Best view in Auckland. <BR> <BR>That'll wake you up after a long flight. <BR>

Old Sep 9th, 1999, 12:49 PM
sharon

Hi Belinda <BR>Catch a LINK bus which is either $1 or $2 per stop and they day all day around the city to the Points of interests fro tourists - Museum - Kelley Tarltons Underwater World etc. a very good inexpenseive way to spend that day - there are 2 companies - other is a double deacker bus does similar thins & good views - shuttle in from airport - ask at info at airport or the people in blue blazers at airport - give great help! <BR>Enjoy <BR>Cheers <BR>Sharon

Old Sep 9th, 1999, 12:50 PM
sharon

Hi Belinda <BR>Catch a LINK bus which is either $1 or $2 per stop and they day all day around the city to the Points of interests fro tourists - Museum - Kelley Tarltons Underwater World etc. a very good inexpenseive way to spend that day - there are 2 companies - other is a double deacker bus does similar thins & good views - shuttle in from airport - ask at info at airport or the people in blue blazers at airport - give great help! <BR>Enjoy <BR>Cheers <BR>Sharon