NZ Travel Docs: Making Sense

Old Oct 21st, 2022, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NZ Travel Docs: Making Sense

Hi All,
Traveling to New Zealand early February though early March 2023: trying to make sense of crucial documents (besides passport) to enter country.
Checking the NZ Immigration Site we see:
1. nZeTa still required: I don't see a deadline (e.g. 28 days prior to landing); 4 Feb-4 March 2023, targeting application by app end of November/1st week of December. Will this be processed in time? Or Feb being peak season, should I submit earlier?
2. Vaccination Documentation Not Required (as of 10/20/22)
3. Travel Documentation Form: Not required (as of 10/20/22)

I'm a bit nervous of not having the necessary vax docs to enter the country and whether these requirements could be re-instated just before we leave. Do you recommend doing all the above, just to be safe? Do they accept US vax cards or can they be uploaded to separate NZ site? (if yes, where is site found?)

In addition: can anyone confirm Air New Zealand's vax & entry forms? Of course I will check, but appreciate your advice, unfamiliar with this airline modus operandi.

I apologize for being in such a muddle...and appreciate your help!

Thank you!
Old Oct 21st, 2022, 01:54 PM

Did you read this page? Under "Latest update--18 October 2022"
https://covid19.govt.nz/international-travel/Travellers and crew do not need proof of COVID-19 vaccination to enter New Zealand. Please check with your airline or cruise provider as they may still require proof of vaccination.

If you have COVID-19 symptoms when you arrive in New Zealand by air, we encourage you to take a rapid antigen test (RAT). You can get free RATs at the airport.

Please report a positive test result by calling:
  • 0800 432 010 — if you are calling from a New Zealand phone number
  • +64 9 954 6118 — if you are using an international SIM card. Check with your phone provider as there may be charges.

New Zealand Traveller Declaration

From Thursday 20 October 2022, you no longer need to complete the New Zealand Traveller Declaration (NZTD) to enter New Zealand.
Here is a link to information about the New Zealand Travel Declaration that you no longer need to fill out:
https://www.travellerdeclaration.govt.nz/
Note at the bottom of the above link, it states what you do still need: passport, visa or NZeta, and travel insurance.
When you arrive in NZ you will also be required to fill out a customs declaration. I highly recommend you review it.
https://www.govt.nz/browse/immigrati...October%202022.
What happens if you fail to declare on your customs declaration:
https://www.mpi.govt.nz/bring-send-t...0those%20goods.

I don't think the NZ govt. will be re-instating vaccination or testing requirements any time soon as the country is expecting many tourists who have already made their travel plans.

I hope this has helped!

Last edited by Diamantina; Oct 21st, 2022 at 02:18 PM.
Old Oct 21st, 2022, 01:58 PM

If you will be flying Air New Zealand:
https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/travel-alerts
Old Oct 21st, 2022, 04:41 PM

I forgot to mention your NZeta will take 10 minutes to 72 hours to process.

Also, I'd like to point out if you are injured in an accident while traveling in NZ, your medical treatment will likely be covered by the NZ govt. (Accident Compensation Corp.) However, you will waive the right to sue. On the other hand, if your become ill while in NZ, you will have to pay for your treatment and medications, so travel insurance is still a good idea.

I think you will find the below article helpful. "It means the process to enter New Zealand is now the same as it was before Covid, with no vaccine, testing, masking, isolation or contact tracing requirements."
https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/...-been-scrapped

Please don't worry. If anything changes with respect to entering NZ or the Covid situation in NZ, I will try to post these changes to this forum.

Last edited by Diamantina; Oct 21st, 2022 at 04:49 PM.
Old Oct 27th, 2022, 08:02 AM

It may take longer than 72 hours if you apply around a Sunday or holiday..my friends took 10 minutes, mine took a bit over 72 hours with a back to back Sunday/Holiday.

The NZeTA app didn't work for me, it would not scan my US passport with a reflective surface, so I had to apply online. Be sure to read the photo requirements for the NZeTA. I could not get it to accept a photo with a slight reflection on my glasses. Had to submit a photo without glasses. Apparently it is really touchy about reflections.

You pay with a credit card, in NZD.
Old Oct 27th, 2022, 07:26 PM

FWIW, we applied for the NZeTA last weekend and we got our approval in...1 minute. We used the phone app and while we didn't have a problem scanning our passports, it took several minutes before we could position ourselves correctly so it would take a picture (sans glasses).
Old Oct 28th, 2022, 02:14 AM

The app is supposed to be faster but I couldn't get my phone scanner to work so had to do it online.
Old Oct 28th, 2022, 08:52 AM

magritten I think you are there now? How about starting a real-time trip report?

About a month ago I was able to join last minute a long-postponed small group birding tour. We are going to several places I've never been (including Stewart Island and Tiritiri Matangi), weather permitting of course. It also includes several pelagic trips (weather permitting of course). Hope my good weather fairy comes along.

I'm mostly concerned about testing positive and getting booted off the van for a week to "isolate".

Old Oct 28th, 2022, 10:11 AM

Good memory, mlgb! And yes, we would have been in New Zealand now, but we had to postpone until the first half of December. My earlier planning thread was asking about places to visit on the North Island since our previous two trips were focused on the South Island--and, of course, we were tempted to go back to the places we liked there. We ended up splitting the difference: we will spend the first half in the Bay of Islands (mainly at a B&BB in Russell) and the second half in Wanaka. Other than one longish travel day in the middle in which we fly Kerikeri-Auckland-Queenstown and then have a subsequent drive to Wanaka, I think we reached a good combo of a new place and a favorite place.

Good luck with your trip and my best wishes for great weather and--even more important--not getting booted off your van. (I have the same worries about needing to isolate since last minute accommodations look like they might be tough to come by!)
Old Oct 28th, 2022, 12:02 PM

Good luck magritten, at least with an independent holiday you will not be forced to test (it is now optional unless your tour guide insists on it).

I will probably miss out on an early Thanksgiving dinner on Nov 9 and mask up on the long flight over.

My other worry is that a miss a connecting flight in Oahu on my travel day (LGB-HNL-AKL). If I do hopefully there is a seat for me on the following day's morning flight on another airline.
Old Oct 28th, 2022, 12:36 PM

Interesting route--I didn't realize that you could fly from Long Beach to Auckland with only one stop! So while we tackle the chaos of LAX, you'll get to fly out of one of the easiest airports in the country. (We live equidistant between LAX and LGB.) When we changed the dates for our trip it went from LAX-SYD-WLG (United Airlines award) to LAX-Fiji-AKL (on an Alaska Airlines award) so we also have a mid-Pacific connection. Like you, we'll be masking up on our flights--feels like a pretty low burden to reduce the chance of getting sick on our trip.

Apologies to pepperment for highjacking your thread!
Old Nov 1st, 2022, 04:17 PM

Now I'm going to hijack this thread. Forgive me, pepperment.

mlgb, sounds like a great birding trip well-worth waiting for. You're going to two of my favorite NZ birding destinations. Will you be overnighting on Tiritiri Matangi? I'd be interested in hearing how you think it compares to Kapiti Island.

I spent four nights on Stewart Island in November 2014. Excellent sightings. I saw endemic birds everywhere, starting from the minute the Bluff ferry arrived at the island's dock at Half Moon Bay. Not many tourists; I often had the lush, verdant tracks to myself. On my second full day on the island, along with seven others from the U.S. and Australia, I took a half-day walk of Ulva Island guided by Furhana of Ruggedy Range Wilderness Experience. It proved efficient to tour the island with all those extra eyes, as someone at the back of group happened to turn around (must have heard a rustling of leaves) and spotted a kiwióduring daylight hours. On a night spotting tour, with a different small group, I watched another kiwi foraging on a beach at Paterson Inlet, but our viewing was cut short due to extremely wet and windy weather. The 35-minute cruise to the inlet had been calm, with sightings of many Bottlenose dolphins, Mollymawks, White Fronted terns, more than a hundred Little Blue penguins, and a couple of Yellow Eyed Penguins and a Sea Lion and pup on a distant beach. But the return cruise to Half Moon Bay was mostly rough. I also had some misses. One rainy night, with two birders from Wisconsin, I spent about an hour waiting for kiwis in the golf course, just to get soaking wet. After becoming thoroughly soaked, we found a nearby wooden shelter that then served as our viewing hide. Again, the kiwis were calling, but refused to leave the forest (seems they didn't need to), from which I concluded kiwis don't like getting rained on any more than we do. Oban's rugby field was said to be good for spotting kiwis, but I didn't see any there either, despite hearing them (what teases). But at least I saw a few Little Blue penguins waddle ashore near some tanks at the wharf. I'd heard there were lots of sandflies on SI, but I didn't even encounter one. I wish you good luck with a comfortable, safe and on-time flight to NZ; a negative RAT test; mild weather; clear night skies; lots of amazing bird sightings and no sandflies.

Last edited by Diamantina; Nov 1st, 2022 at 04:21 PM.