NZ to OZ Flight Info

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 10:34 PM
Jeff

NZ to OZ Flight Info

Looking for the cheapest and most efficient way to fly from the South Island to Australia, preferably to Adelaide or Melbourne, on a weekeday of next month. So far, I've seen flights that are pretty expensive ($1100NZ) and would like to know if I can get anything cheaper than that. <BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Jeff

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 12:46 PM
mary

You should be able to get a flight for about $350 try www.webjet .com or www.qantas.com.au <BR>Freedom Air flies to Australia as well but I don't know where to other than Qld. Nothing flies into Adelaide so you should look to a cheap flight from Melbourne to Adelaide and should be around $77 <BR>Good luck

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 11:26 PM
Alan

Hi, Jeff!<BR>If you are getting quotes for around $1100 for this flight, then my guess is that no one is suggesting to you the alternatives to flying directly from the South Island and directly to Adelaide. This is not a major tourist route... to get the bargains you have to fly the routes which everyone uses and where there are three or four airlines competing for your custom. Can you travel overland to Auckland, for a start, and pick up a flight from there? And, rather than go to Adelaide, can you (as Mary suggested) go to Melbourne, or even Sydney, and then spend $75 on a bus to get to Adelaide? You might save two-thirds of your air fare! The Sydney-Auckland route (and probably Melbourne-Auckland) is so oft-used that you wouldn't find yourself without a flight to suit you, and you would probably get some last-minute specials from any of the airlines flying that route if you don't book in advance from where you are now (or even from the South Island). I can only speak for the route outwards from Australia, but it is relatively easy to get a return from Sydney to Auckland for a touch under $400.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 04:10 PM
Mark

Dont know about from the south island but from Auckland airfares to Melbourne are quite cheap at around $500NZ for a return ticket, dont bother getting a one way fare as they cost more than a return fare, just get a return and not use the return portion if u aint coming back. Fares from NZ are pretty similar whether you fly out of Dunedin or Auckland and you could even get a seat on freedom air from dunedin to melbourne for about $500 as a friend of mine just did recently. Then catch a train or bus to Adelaide. Fares are generally resonable, I paid just on $1500 for a return business fare to melbourne during peak time with United. If u can get to auckland though and fly into sydney Thai air is very cheap and a very good service too. Just a suggestion for you. Best of Luck

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 04:10 PM
Mark

Dont know about from the south island but from Auckland airfares to Melbourne are quite cheap at around $500NZ for a return ticket, dont bother getting a one way fare as they cost more than a return fare, just get a return and not use the return portion if u aint coming back. Fares from NZ are pretty similar whether you fly out of Dunedin or Auckland and you could even get a seat on freedom air from dunedin to melbourne for about $500 as a friend of mine just did recently. Then catch a train or bus to Adelaide. Fares are generally resonable, I paid just on $1500 for a return business fare to melbourne during peak time with United. If u can get to auckland though and fly into sydney Thai air is very cheap and a very good service too. Just a suggestion for you. Best of Luck