Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

NZ South Island in 6 days...is this itinerary do-able?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

G'day!

I've seen so many helpful comments and suggestions from users in other posts that I thought I'd put up my own NZ South Island itinerary for review. It's the first time my partner and I will be going and nothing is set in concrete yet except that it'll be a 6 day holiday at the end of December and we'll be arriving in Dunedin and leaving from Christchurch. The two places I really want to visit are Milford Sound and Franz Josef glaciers. Everything else is a bonus and I would really appreciate any comments and suggestions on places to go.

Day 1: Arrive in Dunedin at 4pm. Drive to Te Anau and stay the night.

Day 2: Te Anau to Milford Sound in the morning. Do the Milford Sound cruise and then scenic drive to Queenstown via Te Anau and stay the night at Queenstown.

Day 3: Free day exploring Queenstown.

Day 4: Morning drive from Queenstown to Franz Josef. Do an afternoon glacier hike. Stay somewhere near Franz Josef?

Day 5: Scenic drive from Franz Josef to Christchurch. Stay at Christchurch

Day 6: Free day exploring Christchurch

Day 7: Very early morning flight from Christchurch back home to Oz.

My hesitations are the drive on Day 1 from Dunedin to Te Anau because ideally I'd like to see the yellow eyed penguins in Dunedin and then drive to Te Anau the next day. But then there won't be enough days for everything else? Also, any suggestions of stopping points on Day 5 during the drive from Franz Josef to Christchurch?

Many thanks for any responses!
Old Nov 20th, 2009, 09:26 PM

Day 1 is not doable. You will need an extra day if you want to see the penguins. Honestly, I'd omit Dunedin and fly to Queenstown if you only plan on staying for 6 nights.
Old Nov 20th, 2009, 11:53 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi NZnewbie -

You need to rethink this.

The yellow eyed penguin tours in Dunedin run as follows:

Summer (October - March)

Tours depart every 30 minutes from 10:15am until 90 minutes prior to sunset. Sunset is about 9:30 pm in late December, which means you need to have cleared the airport, picked up your car, gotten your bearings and checked in for the penguin viewing in time to depart at 8 pm. The tour takes 90 minutes. The drive to Te Anau is 290 km (over four hours). That's without stops.

I agree with germanblonde that you'd be better off flying into Queenstown and giving up on the penguins.

Te Anau to Milford Sound is a two hour drive. Milford Sound to Queenstown is four hours. This doesn't leave much time to do anything more than a cruise and a look see, but it's certainly possible.

Queenstown to Franz Josef takes at least six hours - it's 404 km - it can certainly be done...I've done it many times myself, but I don't see how you can make the drive AND do an afternoon glacier hike in the same day unless you plan to be on the road REALLY early and not make any stops enroute. You'd definitely want to spend this night in Franz Josef (or Fox Glacier if you do a hike there instead). Fox and Franz are about 45 minutes from one another.

What you've got here is a driving holiday with an emphasis on driving. You might as well sleep in your car.
Old Nov 21st, 2009, 01:37 AM
Original Poster

germanblonde and Melnq8, thanks for such quick responses! I had a feeling I might've been pushing it, hence NZnewbie and why I posted to get some tips! I guess I'll only be able to fit in one of either Milford Sound or the Glaciers. Which would you recommend is best for this time of the year?
Old Nov 21st, 2009, 02:48 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
They're both good, but Milford Sound is probably the more popular of the two, the place most first timers have on their 'must see' list.

Perhaps you could combine Queenstown/Milford/Franz Josef OR Dunedin/Milford/Queenstown...the latter would be easier but either way, you'll spend a fair amount of time driving. If it were me and I only had six days, I'd fly into/out of Queenstown and concentrate on that area - there's loads to see and do within a few hours drive - Queenstown, Milford and Doubtful Sounds, Lake Manapouri, Te Anau, Arrowtown, Glenorchy and Wanaka. Heck that's already more than you can do in six days...

Do you like to hike? Visit wineries? Take in the scenery? Water activities? Bungy Jumping? Sightseeing? There's loads to do, truly.
Old Nov 21st, 2009, 12:10 PM

You can rearrange your stops and see your three most important sights.

Day 1 Penguins..note Penguin Place is out on the Otago Peninsula. I would just spend the night back in Dunedin. Don't worry, Dunedin airport is small and efficient, if your flight is on time you will make it. Just be sure to book one of the few car rentals AT the airport.

Day 2 Queenstown. It takes about 4-5 hours via Route 8, I would stop along the way at Kawarau Gorge and watch the bungy jumpers at a minimum. Afternoon in Queenstown.

Day 3 Milford Sound...It CAN be done in a day trip. If you don't want to do all that driving you can book a coach.

Day 4 Queenstown to the Glaciers. You can stop at Munro's Beach and look for penguins if you wanted to drop Day 1, but there are no guarantees there.

Day 5 AM Glaciers, PM drive to Arthur's Pass Village, overnight

Day 6 Drive to Christchurch

Day 7 depart.