NZ North Island 16 days, need comments

Old Mar 20th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NZ North Island 16 days, need comments

This will be our second trip to NZ North Island palnned for early February 2007. Here is our planned itinerary. I have selected a list of activities along the routes. Obviously we will not do all of them but use the list as a selection list to be finalized once we get to NZ.

Day 1, Arrive in Auckland from Sydney
Day 2, Auckland, City walk
Day 3, Auckland, Auckland Museum
Day 4, Drive to Paihia, things to do along the way; Orewa Beach walk, Waiwera hot pools, Puhoi local cheese, Dargaville Matacohe Kauri Museum, Kai Iwi Lakes bush walk, at Tanemahuta large Kauri tree, Omapere, Opononi.
Day 5, Paihia, Awanui, Doubtless Bay beach, Matauri Bay, Waitangi National Reserve, Maori Meeting House.
Day 6, Drive to Coromandel
Day 7, Coromandel, Whitianga, Hahei Cathedral Cove
Day 8, Drive to Waihi, stop at Hot water Beach, Tairua MT. Paku walk
Day 9, Drive to Tauranga, stop at Waihi Beach, Martha gold Mine, Kaimai Mamaku forest Park.
Day 10, Tauranga, Mount Maungaunui walk, Fresh fish Market.
Day 11, Drive to Whakatane, Ohope Beach.
Day 11, Whakatane, White Island day tour
Day 12, Drive to Napier, town walk
Day 13, Drive to wellington.
Day 14, Wellington, Te Papa Museum
Day 15, Wellington, open
Day 16, Fly to Brisbane AU

On our first trip we spent time in Auckland, Rotorua, Tongariro, Wanganui and Wellington. On this trip we are trying to explore the remainder of North Island. Although this itinerary is for 16 days we do have more time available if needed to expand the itinerary.

I would welcome comments, suggestions for changes and improvements, and additions.

Many Thanks,
ZfromWinnipeg
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 06:38 PM

Sound like a good trip. There are 2 things I'd like to comment on..
First, I was so sorry that I didn't have time to stay in Orewa for a night. I loved the beach there and felt rushed, and disappointed that I didn't have time to stay longer. Even the town is nice to wander around.

In Paihia I went sailing on a catamaram for the day and it was wonderful. I had planned on going on a tour up 90 mile beach, but the fellow on the desk where I was staying recommended this and I was SO glad he did.
We sailed, saw dolphins, swam with them, had time on a small island, had lunch on the boat...all in all, a wonderful day. I went with
www.sailingdolphins.co.nz
Vanessa was great and her helper was a young fellow from Ontario.

Oh, and 40 km north of Wellington, we were told to take the drive up the Paekakariki Hill. It's doesn't take long and is well worth it. GO right to the top and down again. Fabulous views.

Good luck.
Kodi ( from Ontario)

Old Mar 20th, 2006, 07:03 PM

Sorry but I think this is way too tight in some places - you are just going to end up driving rather than enjoying things.

I'd drop a day in Auckland and head up to the Bay of Islands - the extra time will be well worth it.

Also you haven't got enough time for Napier. - try to add another day here if you can - take one day off time in Wellington if required. I think Napier is worth the extra time especially if you want to do a wine tour.

There are a couple of things I'me surprised about.

Martha mine in Waihi - this is a modern working mine. I'm not sure that you will find it that interesting. Instead there is a really good walk in the Waihi gorge through old (historical) gold mining sites etc. I'd recommend this.

I'm also a bit surprised about a fish market in Mt Maunganui - not one that I know about that would be of interest to tourists - certainly nothing like fish markets overseas. Mt Maunganui/ Tauranga is a lovely location - enjoy some time in the cafes, walking on the beach etc.

White Island - Highly recommended!!!! But the trip is subject to weather conditions. If necessary be prepared to be a bit flexible here - it would be easy to swap days around with time in Tauranga (it's only an hour away) if the weather dictates...

Anyway I hope you enjoy!
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 11:59 PM

If you are going to visit White Island out of Whakatane and require accommodation we have a friendly B&B with ocean views and seven minutes drive to the wharf to catch the boat.
Also nearby if the weather catches you out are hot pools,scenic walks also a night sky observatory.
If you require more info on Whakatane please email me [email protected]
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 04:44 AM

On our recent trip to NZ we did the day trip to White Island - it was absolutely amazing! It was perfect weather and the tour operator was very professional. Definitely one of the highlights of our holiday. We stayed at Clifton Manor B&B. Whilst it doesn't have the views of the sea, the room was immaculate and it is only a 5 minute walk down to the wharf to catch the boat. An added bonus, the hostess even baked us fresh blueberry muffins for our breakfast!

http://www.cliftonmanorwhakatane.co.nz/
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your comments I will take them into acoount. I will add 2 days to the itinerary.