17/10 Wanaka, sleep in Franz Joseph

18/10 Franz Joseph

19/10 after lunch Queenstown

20/10 Queenstown, evening drive Milford Sound

21/10 Milford Sound

22/10 Drive to Innercargil

23/10 Dunedin

24/10 Christchurch

We are renting a car ( from Auckland to Christchurch) and booking hotels/motels along the way.

Is this doable?

Any insights are very welcome!
Old Apr 8th, 2024, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A road trip in New Zealand is as much about the journey as it is about the individual destinations though, in my opinion, that would be a very exhausting itinerary. All those one night stays would involve a disproportionate amount of time spent checking in and out of accommodation in addition to the driving times.

We have done three long road trips around New Zealand but always in a camper van which removed the need to pack and unpack every day and makes one night stays more viable. We stayed in a mix or commercial and DOC campsites as well as authorised freedom camping spots and stopped for lunch wherever we liked to look of the scenery and to take advantage of the many hiking trails , short and long, along the way. There is a huge flexibility using a camper van as we could change our minds at the last minute. We loved all the places you list (some more than others).

Camper vans are generally only available for pick up and drop off in Auckland, Christchurch and Queenstown but could work for your trip as a one way rental. Not for everyone and not necessarily cheaper, but I think the additional flexibility would allow you yo cover more ground and see more of the country.
Old Apr 8th, 2024, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, in fact we did compare our options with a motorhome , because we are a huge fans of vans, but felt the price wasn't worthy.
My fear with this itinerary was the places we choose to visit werent good or it was impossible to complete this itinerary.
We are use to be independent travelers and drive long distances, since normally we wake early in the morning and start to drive to our destinations.
Old Apr 11th, 2024, 12:39 AM

I suggest doing the Hooker Valley morning hike on 16/10 and add 2 nights in Mt Cook.