New Zealand--where?

Aug 21st, 2005, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

New Zealand--where?

If you were able to spend two months in a small village in New Zealand during June or July, where would it be?
Aug 21st, 2005, 09:08 PM
ALF

Pukenui. About the best weather that you can get in NZ for that time of year, plus great coastal views, beaches, and precious few people.
Aug 22nd, 2005, 05:26 AM

Nelson.....I even know the apartment that I'd rent...............
Aug 22nd, 2005, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I wasn't very specific, but as I'm thinking about it more, I'd like a town that is big enough that there's maybe a public pool, a library, a place to take a class or two (yoga, pottery, something like that), and some live music every now and then. I'm thinking that Nelson may be bigger than I'm looking for. I'm trying to find some more info on Pukenui, but I think that it's smaller than I want. Maybe somewhere between 4000 and, oh, I don't know! I've never searched for a town before! But I'm wanting something where my family can have some stuff to do, but also where I feel safe letting the boys (10 and 15) roam around on their own. Also, since we'll be there in winter, something as warm as possible. Any other ideas? Bailey, tell me about your apartment.
Aug 22nd, 2005, 08:40 PM

www.villa10.co.nz

Graham & Jenny have two apartments....we rented both....both would work for you. The views are incredible!!
Nelson would make an incredible base...so many things are within easy reach. There is a very active art community...with a terrific art center.
It's one of our favorite places in NZ.
Aug 23rd, 2005, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Those apartments look great! But a little out of our ballpark, I think.

What do you know about Russell? It looks about the right size for what I'm thinking. Or also, Picton? Or Kerikeri?

AND, I'm wondering if there are any neat towns (preferably near the beach) within an hour's drive of Auckland?

I've gotten three books from the library, and they're helping my search, but you folks are invaluable!
Aug 23rd, 2005, 09:40 AM

Russell would be nice. There are lots of lovely small towns in the south end of the South Island, but not at that time of year. You also might want to look into some of the towns in Coromandel peninsula.
Aug 23rd, 2005, 01:30 PM

Nelson, Kerikeri, Russell or even Napier on the East Coast has its own little micro-climate.

Warm doesn't really happen, you'll be lucky to find anywhere that's consistently warmer than about 20 degrees during those months and the further south you go, the colder it gets...
Aug 23rd, 2005, 02:26 PM

There is a terrific book that you can buy that features almost 1000 baches for rent.
BACHES & HOLIDAY HOMES TO RENT.....ISBN# 1173-5570
The website is also worth a look.
www.holidayhomes.co.nz

Sometimes when I find a great place to rent then it helps me make a decision about where to go!!
Aug 24th, 2005, 01:15 PM

Anywhere south of Nelson is going to be a bit cool in June/ July. If you or your kids are into skiing then Wanaka might be worth a look, although as it is ski season you probably wouldn't get very good rates. I'd suggest Queenstown, but it's a bit 'over the top' if you are wnating something quiet.

There are a lot of small towns in the Nelson area. Motueka, Collingwood, Kaiteriteri(http://www.tourism.net.nz/region/nel...--kaiteriteri/).

Rotorua is a nice little city, maybe larger than you are looking for, but quite arty, and lots of interesting things to do.

Why don't you spend the first 2 weeks of your sabattical travelling round the country & having a look at what's on offer.

Good luck.
Aug 24th, 2005, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

I like your idea of looking around for a couple of weeks. It would make me nervous, though. Do you think we'd be able to find something for a family of four for 6 weeks at the last minute in June/July?

Also, what do you guys think about Whitianga?
Aug 30th, 2005, 06:16 PM

We stayed in a lovely B&B in Russell. Well it was within walking distance. They had a small cottage in the garden and as it is winter they might do a deal. However, their breakfasts are worth having if that can be part of the deal.
It was called Onuwhao and is right on the water's edge.
Aug 31st, 2005, 12:04 PM

Stevan
Thanks for the suggestion of Ounuwhao <Slight correction to the spelling>.

We're travelling NZ North Island in October, and are presently looking for suggestions.
Sep 1st, 2005, 03:19 PM
GBZ

Somewhere in Northland as it's warm
http://www.newzealandatoz.com/northland.php
Thanks, Glenn
Sep 1st, 2005, 07:27 PM

What kind of suggestions are you looking for, Margo?

Lee Ann
Sep 2nd, 2005, 08:26 PM

Lee Ann
Almost anything - we've booked airfares, and haven't got around to making any other arrangements - but still 5 weeks or so to go!

If it was me only, I wouldn't bother - but I'm travelling with possibly the world's most anal traveller, and he's already freaked out that it's not yet cut and dried.

Fly into Auckland, head to Taupo, then head north, don't work too hard, and see Bay of Islands. That sounds like enough planning for me, but.....

Got any suggestions, B&B's, not too expensive, good sidetrips, anything!

Sep 3rd, 2005, 12:14 PM

Let's see...have you all ever been dolphin swimming or black water rafting? Ever been to Waiotapu or the other geothermal sites near Taupo and Rotorua?

Lee Ann
Sep 3rd, 2005, 12:58 PM

Lee Ann,

I wouldn't be too concerned about getting accommodation at the last minute, June/July is the very trough of our low season, except for areas which have ski fields, such as Queenstown, Wanaka, Ruapehu. Anywhere else you can virtually walk in and name your price. Possibly it's a bit different in the North Island, but where we are in the lower South Island (Te Anau) all the locals depart for warmer climes (Queensland, Bali, Thailand) There are lots of nice little towns around the Gisbourne area, and the wine is pretty good, too. Nice beaches, and the weather is fairly good, although they do tend to get the odd earthquake, hurricane, that sort of thing, but by and large a fairly laid back lifestyle.

Cheers,
Barry
Sep 3rd, 2005, 03:22 PM

We stayed at the Great Ponsonby B&B in Auckland and loved it. Arrived exhausted and they looked after us. Close to all the action, lots of restaurants nearby and we just left our car there and used the bus to get around. Really quiet at night, amazing breakfast.
Sep 4th, 2005, 02:13 PM

>>Lee Ann,

I wouldn't be too concerned about getting accommodation at the last minute, June/July is the very trough of our low season<<

Barry, I wish I was planning another trip to New Zealand so this could be one of my current concerns!

Lee Ann

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO