New Zealand South Island

Oct 3rd, 2001, 09:32 PM
phoenix

New Zealand South Island

Am planning a trip next month either to south or north island. Any suggestions? Also what's the weather like in November? Thanks so much in advance.

Oct 4th, 2001, 01:17 AM
holly

November is late spring and the weather should be perfect. Lots of long hot days but without the real heat of summer. Expect it to be between 20-30 celcius.
For ideas on what to do try www.purenz.com

Oct 4th, 2001, 03:05 AM
LizF

Weather depends where you are in November. I have been to the South Island in December and it snowed. BUT I prefer the south island to the north anyway and so I was happy to have the weather being a little off. If you are coming from Phoenix then hot it won't be for you anywhere in NZ in November.

Oct 4th, 2001, 04:00 AM
John

Hope you will be visiting Christchurch and Queenstown, at the very least.

Oct 5th, 2001, 10:24 PM
David

I live in Auckland. There is plenty to do in both islands and I would say it depends on what you want to do and see. In the North island from Auckland places like the Bay of Islands, Rotorua and the Coromandel peninsular are all easy to get to. Then again if you fly to Wellington (bottom of the North Island) you are in a nice compact City with plenty to do. The Kapiti coast is just up the road, whilst the beautiful Marlborough Sounds(top of the South Island) are a short trip across Cook Straight.

The South Island is spectacular for its scenery. You have snow, mountains, lakes, glaciers etc etc. If your into extreme sports there is plenty happening in Queenstown which is a beaut place anyway. Christchurch is a lovely city, as is Dundein. Fiordland has Sounds (Doubtfull & Milford) that are second only in the world to those found in Norway.

You need to be ready for all kinds of weather in November. We have just had a week and a half of beautifull weather but today its wet, windy and the temperature has dropped accordingly. You need to take into account the whole of the South Island is below 40 degrees South. If you are from Australia that's south of Hobart. If you are from the States its like Washington State or Maine so I agree with Liz, you are a good chance to get cool weather.

David

Oct 9th, 2001, 12:45 PM
Mary Ann

Hi
Just sent my trip report from last November to the top. It has data on our 9 nights in OZ and 11 nights in NZ south island, including weather. Hope it helps.