Search

New Zealand itinerary help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Zealand itinerary help

We are going to New Zealand in September (for work) and will have around 2 weeks to travel around. We will have around 5 days on the North Island before work committments (in Auckland) and then around 10 days afterwards. Ideally we'd like to spend the first 5 days on the North Island and then fly to the South Island and explore Milford Sound / Queenstown and the glaciers. I'd love any itinerary advice, or restaurant or day trip recommendations. We are into photography, short hikes, good food
Old Mar 10th, 2013, 05:37 PM

Goodness, where to start

How do you plan to get around and what level of travel (luxury, budget, frugal)

Are you planning on flying into Auckland and out of?
Old Mar 10th, 2013, 05:47 PM

If was me (my interests are the same as yours & I'm in my mid-thirties), I'd spend my time as follows:

North Island:
Auckland - I'm not an Auckland fan so I'd take the ferry from the downtown ferry terminal across to Waiheke Island and stay there for 1-2 nights. I'd hire a car and check out amazing wineries and walks such as Te Whau, Mudbrick. I'd then take a ferry across to Coromandel town (nice small town) and overnight there before returning from there back to Auckland CBD. I'd then head to Rotorua and experience bubbling mud hotpools, especially the Waiotapu themal park and the amazing champagne pool. I'd overnight in Rotorua to experience the Maori cultural shows. From there, if time allows, I'd go to Wellington for the day (by plane or car 4/5 hours.

In the South Island - I would have flown rather than ferried because I hate large ferry boats. I would have flown to Marlborough area and done a walk on the Queen Charlotte track before heading down the West Coast. My favourite spots include Punakiki, the Fox & Franz Josef glaciers. Tekapo is also lovely.

Queenstown is lovely but also needs a visit to quiet Arrowtown. I'd definitely be eating at Amisfield Winery by Lake Hayes as it is my favourite restaurant in NZ. Lunch or dinner or preferably both

My favourite part of NZ is a lesser visited spot called the Catlins. Close to the bottom of the South Island - it is unbelievably beautiful. Great walking tracks and lovely southern hospitality.

That would be my ideal trip!
Old Mar 10th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Wow, thank you!!! What a lot of information. We are planning to drive but we'll fly to the South Island and probably fly home from the South Island as well. How difficult are the glaciers to access?
Old Mar 10th, 2013, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Level of luxury...well this trip will be our honeymoon so we will try and stay in nice places
Old Mar 10th, 2013, 08:17 PM

You might want to think about which bits you need a car for and which you don't.

For example- there's a very regular Airport to city in Auckland which costs $16 per person one way. You could hire a car on Waiheke just for the time you are there. If you went to Coromandel town, you could just do a tour for the day. On your return to Auckland, you could then get a rental and drive to Rotorua. With a car you would be able to drive to see the blue or green lakes,.

For your journey down the Island, you could stop off at lake taupo and any provincial towns that you like the look of.

In Wellington, you can wander around the waterfront area and shops etc. I'd ditch the car at your rental agent's city branch. For dinner I'd go to either The Matterhorn, Logan Brown or martin Bosleys yacht club restaurant. I'd stay at Ohtel on Oriental Parade: http://www.ohtel.com

In Queenstown, the Hilton is delightful but the scenic hotel chain there is decent and lower cost.

Glaciers - involve a bit of a walk and are best done with a guide if you want to actually get onto the Glacier. I prefer Fox Glacier and if the budget can be stretched, do it by helicopter - take a trip that goes up the Glacier and towards Mt Cook. This can be done for about $270 each (maybe some relatives can pitch in as a wedding gift?). Highly recommend doing the behind scenes tour at the Kiwihouse as well. This is awesome.