Reload this Page >

Need Help - 4 Days in Auckland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 06:14 PM
Rachel

Hello,<BR><BR>We will be heading to Auckland near the end of February for about 4 days. This will be the tail end of our trip after spending 12 days in Sydney and Melbourne. We would like to get a real flavor for New Zealand in the time that we are there. Any help in planning out an itinerary, hotel suggestions (5 star), and restaurant suggestions would be greatly appreciated.<BR><BR>Thank you in advance,<BR>Rachel

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 10:04 PM
David

Rachel,<BR>5 star hotel in Auckland....try the Heritage or the Stamford Plaza.<BR>Auckland is a beautifull city and there is plenty to do. I can be more specific on this if you like, but I am more interested in your request to get a flavour of New Zealand. We are living here for a while whilst on a work assignment from Australia. As I travel around NZ most New Zealanders express the view too me that Auckland is not very representative of NZ. I would have to agree. You are in NZ's major city that houses in excess of 40% of the total population. As I said its a great city but it is a city, huge by New Zealand standards.<BR><BR>4 days, based in Auckland, essentially rules the South Island out, so I will stick with the North of the north Island. The two islands are very different. You should get out of Auckland for a day or two. Visit the Coromandel peninsular, the Bay of Plenty, down to Rotorua. From there through the Waikato and back to Auckland. Other options include north to the Bay of Islands or a day trip to the west coast.<BR><BR>These are simple suggestions and I am happy to expand and provide more detail. <BR>In my view you could spend the 4 days in Auckland, especially if those 4 days are only 3 nights, but to see something different in a day from Auckland I would probably settle on Rotorua.<BR><BR>David

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 09:05 AM
Rachel

David,<BR><BR>We will be arriving in Auckland Friday evening and then leaving on a Tuesday evening. <BR><BR>Do you think doing the things you have listed would be too much during that time span? Also, would those trips require an overnight or are the close enough to come back to Auckland for the evening? And I'm assuming renting a car is the best option in Auckland?<BR><BR>Thanks again!<BR>Rachel

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 01:27 AM
Kerry

Hi Rachel<BR>I think David has given you good advise. Auckland is a great city especially if you enjoy being on the water however if you want to see a bit more of NZ then I would:<BR>Fri - Take the shuttle into the city and stay at a downtown hotel, a number to pick from ranging in price from $NZ100 $NZ400 twin share; visit the viaduct basin for a late night coffee.<BR>Sat. Collect rental and head for teh Bay of plenty via the Coromandels on the Pacific scenic highway; visit the surf beaches<BR>Sun - travel to Rotorua and do the thermal area<BR>Mon - travel to Taupo and on the Tongariro National Park and the volcanic plateau<BR>Tues - Back to Auckland stopping at Waitomo Caves and back at the airport by 4 to 5pm for your flight at ??<BR><BR>

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 01:32 AM
Kerry

Hi Rachel<BR>I think David has given you good advise. Auckland is a great city especially if you enjoy being on the water however if you want to see a bit more of NZ, like beaches, thermal areas, mountains and great scenery, then I would:<BR>Fri - Take the shuttle into the city and stay at a downtown hotel, a number to pick from ranging in price from $NZ100 $NZ400 twin share; visit the viaduct basin for a late night coffee.<BR>Sat - Collect rental and head for the Bay of plenty via the Coromandels on the Pacific scenic highway; visit the surf beaches (4 hours driving)<BR>Sun - travel to Rotorua and do the thermal area (2 hours driving)<BR>Mon - travel to Taupo and on the Tongariro National Park and the volcanic plateau (2 to 3 hours driving)<BR>Tues - Back to Auckland stopping at Waitomo Caves and back at the airport by 4 to 5pm for your flight at ?? (4 hours driving + 1 hour for caves)<BR><BR>Happy to help with further advise<BR>Kerry<BR><BR>

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 11:47 AM
David

Hello again Rachel,<BR><BR>I think Kerry has given you a great itinery that involves three nights away from Auckland. When in Auckland see the waterfront (Viaduct basin) and surrounds. Also, if Saturady dawn bright and clear like today, head up the SkyTower (largest building in the Southern Hemisphere with fantastic views) before you leave. Ifs its dull leave it and try your luck on the Tuesday. Other things to do are drive out along the eastern bays to Mission Bay and on to Sr Heliers....great resturants and people everywhere.<BR><BR>Really that would take care of a Saturady morning or a Tuesday afternoon in Auckland.<BR><BR>Other than that, go with Kerry's itinery. You will see the essence of New Zealand North Island in those 3 days.<BR><BR>Happy to provide more info. Your flight in on the Thursday may be quiet late I am betting. If you are coming from Australia the last flights hit Auckland at 1.00am. From Someone who does that all to regularly I can tell you you will be a little fuzzy on the Saturday.<BR><BR>David

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 09:08 PM
marg

When we in Auckland, we took the ferry across to Devonport. Nice little town with pleasant walk to the top of the hill with great views across to Auckland and the surrounding areas. Lots of little places to eat and nice shops.