Need Avice about New Guinea

Oct 12th, 1999, 11:34 AM
Jane

Need Avice about New Guinea

I'm going to New Guinea in June of 2000. I don't know anyone who has ever been there, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am taking my niece, so we will be two women travelling alone. We'd prefer not to be on a tour. We'd like to go to areas that aren't typical tourist areas, but I have no idea how to arrange this. Any ideas?

Oct 13th, 1999, 11:42 AM
nohelp

Hey Jane
You pose an interesting question. I have lived in Australia for 30 years and have never heard of any one going to New Guinea for tourism. I'm not sure any one does though I look forward to a trip report when you return back.
Watch out for head hunters (a myth I'm sure).
Suggest you talk to travel agents, visit the library, do internet searches. Sorry I can't help any more.

Oct 22nd, 1999, 07:02 PM
WANDA SALGADOI

HOLA
I LIVE IN PNG FOR TWO YEARS.I WAS WORKING AS VOLUNTEER. I RECOMEND
TO VISIT THE GOROKA SHOW ON AUGUST.
ALSO THE MADANG AREA IS GOOD. BUT
YUO HAVE TO BECARFULL WITH THE PUBLIC
TRANSPORTATION.THE PEOPLE IS VERY AGRESIVE.THE FOOD IS BAD AND I RECOMEND
TO TAKE ANTIMALARIA DRUG.IM SORRY ABOUT
MY ENGLISH BUT MY FIRST LANGUAGE IS SPANISH.LET ME KNOW IF YUO HAVE ANY DOUBTS.

Nov 24th, 1999, 06:22 PM
thomas

I thought I'd get in early here.

Two women alone in PNG is a real NO NO. We are talking serious danger. There are tons of reports of violence and rape. In the cities there are problems with the rascals (gangs) especially Port Moresby.

It's a fascinating place to visit but even seasoned travellers should take a tour if they are heading off the beaten track.

I agree with the previous post - you must have antimalarials, the food is expensive and unhygienic and organising transport is difficult.

But of course that's what you are going there for - this is one of the last untamed wildernesses. I have travelled the world for years and I believe that its one of the most difficult places to travel.

Now, having totally scared you off. The Madang area is nice, the highlanders are amazing, great snorkelling/diving is possible. Lonely planet will probably have a primer on the details at www.lonelyplanet.com.au - check out the travellers tales for updated info.

Just travel with a reputable tour company and you should be ok.

To emphasise my point on personal safety here's a travellers comment from the Lonely Planet site.

PAPUA NEW GUINEA
Scams & Warnings
The only safe travel in Port Moresby is to Sogeri. A general rule is that the further away from Port Moresby you go, the less rascal activity there will be (excluding Kimbe). Venturing any further in to the highlands than Madang and Goroka is a bit of a lottery. In the last couple of months tribal fighting has escalated around Tari and Wabag (again).
Michael McKeown, PNG (Nov 98)
PNG is certainly unsafe for a single woman travelling alone. I think the danger cannot be overemphasised. There are single women who have had dreadful experiences at the hands of local men. No-one is caught or prosecuted and the women do not wish to talk about their experiences. Even single males are attacked. A man who was to meet me at the airport had recently been 'jumped' in his car by two men with pistols. His car was stolen and he was left to fend for himself.
Suzanne L Dooley (Aug 98)

Jan 6th, 2000, 06:23 PM
cfbowes

Allow me to suggest that if you must make this trip that you go with a Tour Group. Port Moreby is now one of the most dangerous cities in the world. the ozzies refer to it as the Rape Capital. Port Moresby is not a place to be wandering around alone.