Reload this Page >

Need air conditioning in Fiji in July?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 09:45 AM
Anita

Hi all! We are thinking of staying a week in Fiji, maybe Malololailai Island or Malolo Island, in July, '03. Some of the bures or resorts don't offer air conditioning. Would we be less happy there withour AC or does Fiji have a wonderful cool breeze at night time during this season? I have heard stories of other travelers who were without AC on other islands and were not so happy with it.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 03:47 PM
Geoff

AC in January maybe could be an issue with the hot sun. But in the middle of winter?? It won't be an issue in July.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 06:57 PM
Anita

Thanks for your input, Geoff. Then can I assume that during their winter months the air is dry and not much humidity? We live in Denver and feel we don't need AC,but it's quite a different story if we go back to Indiana where it's very humid during the summer months.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 08:16 PM
LizF

The air isn't dry in winter - the sun isn't that hot so there is no need for airconditioning.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 08:59 PM
cherie

Hi Anita<BR>Hello from New Zealand<BR>We spent three weeks in fiji June 2000.<BR>Some of the accomadation we stayed at had air con and some didn't........<BR>And to be honest it didn't worry us either way........I certainly wouldn't pay extra for it....We are heading to Fiji June 2003 and are staying at accom that doesnt have air con.<BR>We have stayed at Malolo resort and Musket cove resort on Malololaiali and visted plantation island on malololailai resort, so if you want a reco email me<BR>have a great holiday in fiji.........It is the most amazing place, we are heading back for our 3 rd trip!!!<BR>

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 02:55 PM
Anita

Thanks all. Everybody's input is always so helpful on this website. I may be emailing you, Cherie. Sounds like you've been close to the islands where we are thinking of staying. We'll be staying in a resort through an exchange with Interval International. We'll talk soon. Take care.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 03:02 PM
Sherril

I live in Indiana and if you think Indiana is humid you'll really think that Figi is incredibly humid. We just returned from Fiji. The heat wasn't bad but oh that humidity. If we turned off the air conditioning, the mirrors would cloud up and the floor and our clothes would be damp.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 06:46 PM
Anita

Well, now I am confused. Am getting mixed reviews here. It's not that I can't take hot weather or even high humidity while I'm having a good time on the beach or touring the area, but it's nice to be able to cool down a little in the evenings, especially when sleeping. Guess I want the best of both worlds---the tropical beauty of Fiji and the comfort of home when resting. I'll continue to research. Thanks everybody.

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 08:47 AM
Peggy

Well we live in the desert in California where it is never humid & we are the least likely to tolerate high humidity very well. We have been to Fiji 4X, 2 times in the April/May timeframe & 2 times in the Oct/Nov timeframe. We have stayed at high end resorts in the Northeast, West & Southern areas off the big island Viti Levu but they did not have air condiitoning. And they didn't need it, as I think the case would be in July. Jan/Feb may be a different issue. We were always comfortable & actually airconditioning would have interferred with the ocean sounds & breezes through the palm trees. We slept like babies. Places we have stayed were shaded by lots of foliage & not exposed to the direct sun either. Good luck!

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 11:03 AM
Mary

If you're staying out on an island with a bure that's on the beach you will not need air-con. However if you are staying in Nadi or in a big resort and your bure is tucked inland you may prefer to have it. The sea breezes are fabulous and if there's no air-con there's a ceiling fan. I would be choosing a beach bure (no air-con) over anything, particularly as the air-cons (except at the large Nadi based hotels etc) are not set up as a large central unit but are individual to each bure and therefore noisy. It will not be humid out on the islands in July.