Reload this Page >

Need advice on family holiday to Gold Coast

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 01:52 AM
Baby

I went to Gold Coast in April 7 years ago and promised myself that I would return with my family. If plans don't miscarry, this trip will happen in last week of October to about Nov. 3. Would like to get opinions on the following: <BR>1) Is Tangalooma Resort worth it? I'm excited about getting my 8 and 12-year old children experience dolphin feeding and whale watching. <BR>2) Without having to fly to Cairns, what is the best (i.e., cost-effective) way to reach the Great Barrier Reef from Brisbane? Would like to go on a day trip. <BR>3) Any advice on best economy accommodations in Brisbane or Gold Coast? <BR>4) If we go to the Currumbin Sanctuary, should we skip Lone Pine Koala? <BR>5) Where's best place to shop in Brisbane? <BR>Thank you so much...will appreciate reply. <BR>

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 12:53 PM
scurry

<BR>I'll give it a go: <BR> <BR>#2 -- The Great Barrier Reef is definitely NOT a day trip out of Brisbane (think Seattle from San Francisco). That said, you can visit southern islands like Hamilton Island, Great Keppel Island or even Fraser Island without going to Cairns, but these still aren't day trips. <BR> <BR>#4 -- haven't been to Currumbin for 20 years, but isn't it mainly a bird sanctuary? If so, a trip to Lone Pine is worth it. You can pet/feed kangaroos in many places, but Lone Pine is the only place I know where you can hold a Koala in Qld. <BR> <BR>#5 -- The shopping in the city is pretty well concentrated downtown. You could start on the Queen Street Mall and work out from there.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 11:29 PM
lori

1. Tangalooma has a reputation of being a low-key family resort on an island near Brisbane. They do wild dolphin feeding off the beach. Havent been there myself <BR>2. The most southerly point of the GBR is the coral cays off Bundaberg (4 hrs drive north of Brisbane). You can fly there (40 mins to 1 hr) and catch a plane to Lady Elliot Island. They do a day visit which includes reef walking, snorkling, scuba (if you have experience) and lunch. Then fly back. Don't be fooled by the glossy tourist mags - far North Qld may have the name, but the quality of coral is dimished because of all the tourists trampling over it...Lady Elliot is a serious divers place. <BR>3. Heaps of accommodation options - probably a unit would be the best value. Tourists stay around Surfers (real Australian families go for quieter areas further south at Broadbeach or Burleigh) <BR>4. Currumbin is very good - not just a bird park. The kids will love it. Animal nursery, native animal interactive stuff, mini train and enough parrots during the feeding times at the end of the day to cover 1000 unsuspecting tourists with droppings! <BR>5. The Queen street mall has great shopping but as big a range can be found on the Gold Coast at their major mall "Pacific Fair" <BR>Have a great time. If you are there for a week get a 3 park Super Pass for the family - gets into Sea world; Movie World and Wet'n'Wild. <BR>Dreamworld definitely has Koala's you can have a photograph taken with.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 11:36 PM
Cassandra

Another great way to get to Bundaberg or even further north to Rockhampton (great keppel island is accessible from Rockhampton) is travelling by the tilt train which is a high speed train. even with this, though, you wouldn't be able to do a day trip. the trip to bundaberg is about 4 hours from brisbane, making it about 5 hours from the gold coast. your ticket gives you free train travel from the gold coast to brisbane too. perhaps make a weekend of it so that you are not totally rushed...after all, the idea of a tropical island is relaxation! <BR>check out more about the tilt train at www.qroti.bit.net.au <BR> <BR>I agree with Lori, Broadbeach is probably a better choice than Surfers for accommodation because Surfers is generally overpriced. Broadbeach, in my opinion, is also a nicer place to stay. Currumbin Sanctuary has lots of birds but also lots of other australian animals like dingoes etc. dreamworld is a good place to see the animals close up and you can also hold a koala and have your photo taken. i think that if you are going to dreamworld, it is most likely not worth going to lone pine as well. get the three park pass and you also get a second free day at one of the parks. good deal. <BR> <BR>Also, check out some of the shopping on the gold coast. you no longer have to go all the way to brisbane for good shopping. the main shopping centres are Pacific Fair, Australia Fair, Harbour Town (an outlet shopping centre) and Robina Town Centre, all good choices.

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 05:25 AM
Lianne

Hi Baby! <BR>Tangalooma Resort is definitely worth going to. You can also catch a day trip boat ride to the Southern tip of the Great Barrier Reef from Victoria Point, or in conjunction with a stay on Stradbroke island. Your travel agent should be able to find out more for you. <BR> <BR>The Queen street Mall is the shopping centre in Brisbane City, with Broadway on the Mall, and the Myer Centre, the Wintergarden, and David Jones complex all fronting it. Each of these huge buildings is full of a multitude of shops on many levels. The Myer Centre also has a kids fun complex at the top, with rides and arcade games. The bottom level has cinemas, too. I like to shop at Westfield Shopping town at Indooroopilly. It's another huge shopping complex on many levels and is only a fifteen minute bus ride from Brisbane central. You can get bus time tables from a tourist kiosk in the centre of the Queen street mall, as well as other tourist info, including how to catch up with the boat to the Southern tip of the Barrier Reef. <BR>The period you are staying on the Gold Coast is outside of the school holiday period here, so should be a low to mid season rate. Any of the high rise apartments there should do the trick, and many of them have family apartments. There's lots of touristy things to do on the Gold Coast, with all the theme parks and the glitzy stuff at Surfers Paradise. The high rise you stay in will have many brochures, and you'll find that mini buses will pick you up and drop you off at your hotel for day trips to the theme parks, or the mountains, or tourist parks like Currumbin. The prices are reasonable. Don't skip Lone Pine. It's more of a zoo than Currumbin. Currumbin's greatest attraction is the feeding of the parrots at around 2 p.m. It also showcases animals, but not to the same level as Lone Pine. I'm not too sure about cheap accommodation in Brisbane. I think you're likely to find it more expensive than the Gold Coast, but the Ridges Hotel at Southbank is fairly reasonable and caters for kids. Southbank is just across the road, with a huge double saltwater swimming lagoon in a wonderful public park beside the Brisbane river. There are always free public activities going on at Southbank. While you're in Brisbane, go on the City Cat ferry ride, and do all stops. It's a great and cheap way to see the city from the river. You can also buy family day tickets that allow you to go on trains, buses and ferries for 24 hours. If you're in Brisbane on Sunday, go to Southbank for the Craft Markets, between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., and take a ferry across the river to the Riverside markets, which meander along the riverside and between the tall glass buildings. It's really an experience, buskers included.

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 10:06 PM
lcuy

We stayed in a nice 2 bedroom unit at Diamond sands resortin Broadbeach for $110 AUS per night in June. Full kitchen, TV, washer & dryer and 2 bathrooms in the unit. Nothing deluxe, but spacious and clean and quiet, with a very nice pool with Bar-B-Ques. It is across the road, so about a 2 minute walk to the beach. Lots of little places to eat nearby, and a big shopping center close by. Ask for a room behind the pool. they are very cool and you won't hear any road noise. There is very good bus service here. We had a car, but other guests were very happy without.

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 10:47 PM
Big Brother

Gold Coast is great any time of the year <BR> <BR>if you can book your accomodation on standby you can save 70% on normal accomodation prices, goto wotif.com <BR> <BR>also theme parks is a must on goldcoast! <BR>dreamworld has "big brother" at the moment <BR>cheers