COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Mosquitos in Fiji?

Old Dec 29th, 2001, 03:38 PM
fran

Mosquitos in Fiji?

I've booked a trip to Fiji for May. Can't wait. Will be spending 8 nights at Malolo Island Resort. Am wondering, do I need to bring insect repellent? Will there be mosquitos and no see ums? What about other bugs?

Old Dec 30th, 2001, 08:56 AM
Bob Schuman

Hi Fran,

I'm not sure about mosquitos during the month of May but we visited Mana Island in late December four years ago and the mosquitos absolutely ate us alive! My daughter got more than 100 bites during one dinner alone. Otherwise, it's a great place. Have a wonderful trip and as they say on the island: Bula!!!

Old Dec 30th, 2001, 10:03 AM
Peggy

I think it just depends, on the weather, location, proximity to stagnant water, hotel use of repellants, etc. Dawn & dusk can be the worst times. Went to Turtle Island in Fiji & got bit by everything, they also had huge spiders, then went to Namale & Vatulele & I think got one or two bites & used no repellant! Vatulele had electrical heated solid repellants in the bure & nothing was seemed to venture past them, oh except for the 7inch long centipede that nearly gave me a heart attack! I've gotten the worst mosquitos bites in Mexico. But yes take repellant to be on the safe side. You'll have a great time.

Old Dec 30th, 2001, 09:17 PM
Carl Z

OK I'll give you an old Central American tip that I've used all over the place, even back in Northern Ontario, it's quite effective.

Take a half-dozen clear plastic bags with you-the type you put produce from the Veggie Market in, as well as some strong string.

Fill them 75% (+or-) full of water and hang-the best you can-from the rafters in your bure/hut/tent/WHY.
OK you don't have to use them all but you might need some spares, 2 is usually enough depending.

I don't know why but it works-I'm serious it seems to give off some kind of energy that Mozzies don't like much.
Don't laugh people-just try it-you have nothing to lose and only your sanity to save.

Does not work in open spaces all that well but when you return to your Mozzie-Free Bure you'll say-
"Wow!It worked!
Now if I only could remember that nice man's name I'd send him an email saying Thanks"

You're Welcome!!!