Search

Milford or Doubtful Sound?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 06:58 AM
Chris

Milford or Doubtful Sound?

I'll be in Queenstown in November and would like to go to either Milford or Doubtful sound, but I'm having a hard time picking one. I'd like to visit there as a day trip, but I've seen a few overnight trips that look good as well. Anyone willing to go out on a limb and pick one Sound over the other?

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 11:39 AM
ALF

I vote for Doubtful Sound. It is far more remote and receives far fewer tourists. You take a boat across Lake Manapouri, then a bus along an unsealed road to another boat that takes you down Doubtful Sound. This is a very long day. There is also an overnight trip on a much smaller boat. This is pricey, but I thought it was well worth it. The boat had a couple of kayaks that were great fun to use in the early morning. Sleeping arrangements were a bit tight (Pullman-style), but comfortable. Milford Sound will be less expensive, is easier to get to, and on a nice day (you never know!) probably has more spectacular scenery. On the other hand, there are mobs of boats and tourists!

Old Oct 14th, 2000, 10:39 PM
Jo

Hi Chris, <BR>There are many different ways to see Milford Sound, so feel free to e-mail me and I'll send you a synopsis of the various options. <BR>With Doubtful Sound, unless you charter a plane, from Queenstown it is only accessible by bus, which departs at 6.45am and returns at 7.30pm. It's a bit easier if you're going to be basing yourselves in Te Anau for a couple of nights. <BR>If I were going to overnight on one of the Sounds, I'd pick Doubtful, but if I just wanted a quick look, I'd pick Milford, as you can fly in, take the cruise and land back in Queenstown within four hours. <BR>Milford is described as spectacular, while Doubtful is described as serene. If you're interested in underwater power stations, you'd see one at Lake Manapouri as part of the Doubtful cruise. <BR>Best wishes, <BR>Jo

Old Oct 18th, 2000, 02:15 PM
Chris

Thanks for the help! I've decided to take an overnight trip instead of making it a day trip from Queenstown. The day trip option seems like a pretty long day, mainly spent on the bus. I still haven't picked one Sound over the other, but I'm leaning toward Doubtful Sound. Less busses, tourists, etc. I guess trip availability might help make the decision... <BR>Thanks again!

Old Oct 22nd, 2000, 10:41 AM
pat

WEather is probably the most important item & the most variable. We opted for Milford, although we had heard about Doubtful Sound. We also opted for the 12:30 cruise which is on a smaller boat that stops at the marine biology station & gives you a tour there, as well. WE were fortunate in that it was a beautiful clear blue sky day... so it was spectacular. Also the station lets you see some of the interesting coral, fishes etc. in the sound as it descends below the water level.