Search

Mike Booker

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike Booker

My wife and I have been traveling and just yesterday got home and found an e-mail Mike Booker had sent on April 15, 2007, advising us that he was suffering from a brain tumor and undergoing surgery the following day. Fyi, I met Mike on this forum when he was kind enough to reply to some questions on Tasmania where he and his wife, Mikako, live with their two small children.

Mike ran (his note says they are closed "temporarily," he hopes) a couple of small travel agencies in Hobart along with something he had developed called a Honeymoon Registry.

We have no way of knowing the outcome of his surgery but pass this information on to readers of this forum. In addition to the help Mike provided me on the forum he also expressed willingness to reply to my queries privately and without any thought of business.

We certainly wish him well.

BigBlue
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 02:04 PM

What name was he posting under?
I hope too for his fast recovery.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Mike posted as Taswegian.

BigBlue
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 07:31 PM

Do you think he might be OzMike?
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

The only posting I recall reading from him regarding a query of mine he signed Taswegian. It is possible he used more than one screen name.

BigBlue
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 07:56 PM

Hi BigBlue,
@ All.
OzMike here. No, I'm not Taswegian.

Although I don't know Taswegian, I wish him well. I too have a friend who had to have brainsurgery and can relate to the situation.

I have just returned from nearly 6 weeks on tours with Overseas customers and haven't been looking in here for a while.

Cheers,
Mike
Old May 1st, 2007, 09:08 AM

back from the dead - temporarily. Hi this is mike booker in Hobart Tasmania. Brain tumour removed, I am fit and well. Immediately closed down IATA travel agency of 20 years and in process of preparing for sale the smaller but more sellable "Tasmania Travel Company" especially that part dedicated to Flinders Island in Bass Strait. Worst case scenario pathology report - 6 to 12 months - wow!

I've toyed with the idea of spending more time with you guys - but right now I'm tempted to get right away from this.

6 weeks of chemo/radio coming - then to Japan to see all the inlaws - then to Flinders Island for a week at my favourite little health spa who will restore me to life. And then I'll make a decision about fodors.

some intersting observations. Brother visit from London - first time we had conversations other than a half dozen lunchs or dinners somewhere in the world since I left home at 15 to sea in 1963 and he 2 years later. Drove past the security prison on way to bush walk - he asked if that is Martin Bryant is held (young lad - Port Arthur attrocity .. good lord - it was by 60th yesterday so it must be an anniversary of that event ) I replied that he got life - I got death.

The first night after getting the report - lay on the bed staring at the ceiling and thought I could be watching a pair of paddles coming down onto my chest and hearing a voice say 'stand clear - one last try". Or staring through the windscreen at the truck that just crossed to my side of the highway. Instead Mikako and I have an unknown but lengthy period of time with me in perfect health to gently plan her way forward with the girls and be sure all business and personal affairs are totally in order. And to enjoy every possible moment of love we are allowed.
That's a mighty blessing compared to the way many hundreds of people will be widdowed across this planet this very night.

Not sorry I will miss - as a very old man - what I fear is a troubled time for this planet as warming takes hold. Not the climate but the stresses when masses of people start to move for food and especially water.

Sorry I will not live to see some moral if not real justice brought to the leaders of our western world for what i see as a most tragic mistake the in the violence they have visited on the people of Iraq - and the ongoing and increasing violence I frear it is going to bring to us.

I spent 45 years travelling the world as ships officer, airline and agent and never visited a country or met a family could not be comfortable and have some good words to say about Australia and me as an Australian. Today I suddenly find 1/3 of the worlds population would not condemn a person who blows up my family. Something has gone terribly wrong.

Having said which I must of course add a huge apology for any misunderstanding - to many readers for whom all this started in the most attrocious and horrifying way and are themselves the prime target of this evil that has spawned in the world. But for the life of me cannot I see that morally or ethically we took the right course or choose the right place to try to end it.

Pray that be over soon and American families stop grieving. Folks for pity sakes don't reply to this - I desperate don't want to start a dialogue (especially here), it's just that recently 1 week of having lost all manner of communication I have a compulsion to get thoughts written down before it's too late.

Hey time to go. Coming to 4 am - the US news will be on soon, another sleepless night (actually have not yet closed my eyes in the 10 days since getting the news) but calm and rested and slowly working through the myriad of personal and business stuff get onto paper. For accountant, lawyer, 2 babies 3 and 4 months, 2 children ages 38 and 36 and the grandchildren. all of whom are by wonderfull concidence back to live here. My son last year from overseas, my daughter to Canberra from overseas but now relocating to Hobart.

Seriously don't reply - I will not be here to read it. I shall be back in 3 months to see how I feel about getting involved in travel and tasmania and passing on my comments. I suspect I won't be able to resist it!

to your good health - and your travelling - grab life - go Fodor it!

Mike Booker
Hobart Tasmania.