Search

Melbourne Surroundings with Toddler

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2006, 01:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Melbourne Surroundings with Toddler

Hi Everyone!

We're taking our two-year old daughter to Australia in November. We're planning on staying with friends in Melbourne for about a week. Then, we're venturing out on our own for another week.

We'd like to drive somewhere beautiful and stay for a little while. (Great Ocean Road, Grampians, Macedon, etc.) But, it's tough to tell what will be the most child-friendly.

Are the towns on the Great Ocean Road child-friendly? I saw some wonderful accommodations on the GOR's website, but most were "no-children" sorts of places.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!

Kate
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 03:51 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi Kate -

We stayed at a nice cottage in Marengo, two kms from Apollo Bay on the GOR this past March. The cottages are 2 and 3 bedroom, and although I don't have kids, I'd certainly consider this place kid friendly. The cottages are set on several acres of
manicured grounds with a lake, BBQ area, picnic tables and some fascinating birdlife.

http://www.colonialcottages.com.au/

This site lists several family friendly activities along the GOR:

http://www2.visitvictoria.com/displa...1F94/vvt.vhtml

Have fun!

Old Jul 31st, 2006, 03:52 PM

I'd suggest that somewhere on the Great Ocean Road would be best. There's lots to see and do - including the Maritime Village at Warrnambool. Port Fairy is the nicest (IMO) and there's lots of cottages/apartments to rent which would give you a bit more room. try www.myportfairy.com for options. The Grampians are best known for their walking/hiking and although lovely, there's not so much for a 2 year old. I'd not suggest the Mount Macedon area for an extended stay - it's an easy 1 hour trip from Melbourne, and a day would be enough.

Other good things for children: a ferry ride on the Yarra to Williamstown, trip to Soveriegn Hill at Ballarat (although a 2 year old may be a bit young to enjoy it), trip to Healesville Sanctuary and the Melbourne Zoo has an excellent Australian aniamal area.
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 07:54 PM

How do you tell a child-friendly town in America? Just apply the same logic.
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 09:35 PM

Anglesea, Lorne, Apollo Bay on th GOR are all great Victorian, indeed Australian, family holiday places and have been ever since the GOR has been built. Lorne in particular is absolutely ideal for families and young children. We holidayed there every year for 12 years when the kids were babies util well into school age. Lorne beach is safe and very busy in Dec. to Jan. so November should be great although the water may be cold. Lorne has lots of cafes, walks etc. and is ideal for an extended stay. The Grampians is also family friendly, but not ideal for a 2yo. More bush camping, rugged hikes and great scenery. Macedon is only good if you want to tour country Victoria. Not much there. Another great area is the Mornington Penninsular. Rosebud, Sorrento, Portsea are premier holiday places for families and you can take a ferry from Sorrento across to Queenstown and then onto the GOR.
I can't think of anywhere on the GOR that is a "no children" sort of place. We don't have that sort of accomodation in Australia unless it is a very exclusive island on the GBR or some snooty B&B.
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 09:36 PM

The sea water will still be very cold in Novemeber so I suggest that you keep that in mind . Lots of the Lorne properties / hotels / motels are fine for kids .
Another option is a town called Marysville which is East of Melbourne through the hills and you get there by driving The Black Spur . That is a winding road through a ' cathedral ' of Mountain Ash trees , which are the tallest native trees . The town is old and has good family friendly places to stay eg The Cumberland . It has lovely walks ,one of which is pretty level and is to the locals falls which are lit at night by hydro power . As you walk the track / path to them tame possums come to be fed , which kids just love to do . A nice spot for 2 days . Only 1.5 hours or less drive from the city .