COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Melbourne - 4 days - itinerary help!

Old Mar 5th, 2020, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

Melbourne - 4 days - itinerary help!

I will be in Melbourne for the first time during last week of March but I will only have from Sunday morning until Wednesday evening

I want to make the best use of my time but can't decide what to do

1. Spend all 4 days in Melbourne, enjoying the city

2. Only 2 days in Melbourne, then rent a car and do Great Ocean Road trip for 2 days returning back to Melbourne airport directly

3. Do a one day trip to Great Ocean Road but return back to the city that night

4. Stay in Melbourne but do a day trip somewhere closer instead, like Dandeongs, Mornington or Philip Island

I really want to make the best use of my time.

I want to enjoy the city but who knows when I'll be back so if the Great Ocean Road is a major highlight I want to do it, even if it takes my time away from the city.

I like city things like cafes and museums but I'm also a nature lover

What would you guys do if it was your first time there?
Old Mar 6th, 2020, 12:44 AM

It depends a bit on whether you want to do a lot of driving in two days. I think the Great Ocean Road is too far for a day trip. Also are you happy driving on the left? (Not sure what country you are from and if you are used to driving.) I think you'd need to allow about 4 hours minimum to drive the inland route to the Twelve Apostles and about 5 hours minimum via the coast road. If you have two days you'd be able to stop here and there and enjoy the scenery a lot more. Lorne is very popular and has lots of accommodation if you wanted to overnight there.

I think Philip Island and Mornington don't offer as much as the Great Ocean Road. Another idea for a day trip would be Healesville Sanctuary which has only Australian wildlife and the small town of Healesville is nice for lunch and a wander. If you choose Healesville, check the feeding times on their website if you want to see animals close up, like the koalas.

If you drive directly back to the airport from the Great Ocean Road, allow plenty of time for traffic, particularly if it's peak hour. It could take hours longer than you think, there might be roadworks or you could get stuck behind slow moving traffic.

Kay