Melboune/Sydney stay

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 11:59 PM
Clyde

Melboune/Sydney stay

My wife and I will be travelling to Australia in March-April. We are from South Africa and will stop over in Melbourne first to attend the F1 Grand-Prix, thereafter take a coach to Sydney where we plan to spend the rest of our stay.

How does one go about booking tickets to the grang prix for the Sunday and what cheap acoomodation is available in Melboune over this period? We also intend travelling to Sydney by coach. Is is better to book tickets from SA or to book when we arrive, what prices are we looking at.

What sights would you suggest we see while in both towns and while travelling through by coach? What is the wheather like during this time of year?

Regards,
Clyde.

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 01:47 AM
Carol

I have recently returned from Sydney and would recommend a trip to Darling Harbour and in particular the Chinese Garden of Friendship which is located at the far end of Darling Harbour almost opposite China Town. A tour of the Opera House is another must and a half day harbour cruise gives a fascinating insight into some of Sydney Harbour history. All the tours of Sydney are easily accessible from Circular Quay for the ferries and the blue and red explorer buses offer good value travel again from outside Circular Quay. The weather I found was warm but with the need for a lightweight jacket for the evenings.

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 03:11 PM
Mary

Weather in Melbourne in March is usually glorious - fine, mild (around 23-25c). Accomodation during the Grand PrIx is at a premium - you should be booking NOW! You may well be able to arrange a package of accom & tix to the race - ask your travel agent. There are lots of things to see & do in and around melboure - what are your interests??????

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 03:57 PM
LizF

FYI - there is also a train that goes from Melbourne to Sydney if you happen to like trains. I doubt that there will be any "cheap" accommodation around the Grand Prix because most places are booked out well ahead of time anyway. You could try doing a search for the cost of coach tickets bought in Australia and then get a comparison from your travel agent.
Go through some of the other posts as there have been some wonderful suggestions to others on what to see is both cities. You will be more likely to get cheaper accommodation in Sydney as long as its not clashing with Easter.

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 05:37 PM
mina

With all due respect for Carol, I hated Darling Harbour...I felt it was sterile, and ridiculously touristy. However, it really depends on what you're interested in. I hear the aquarium is nice, but since I had gone diving a few times on the Great Barrier Reef, I had no desire to see fish in a tank. I thought Watson's Bay was nice, and I had a nice stroll through Darling Street in Balmain, which seemed a little more off the beaten path.

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 07:35 PM
marg

Definitely start booking your accommodation in Melbourne now for the Grand Prix. Usually hotels are booked out and prices soar. You should be able to get a package which will give you accommodation and tickets.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 07:15 PM
Rhonda

For some background info on hotel accomodation have a look at:

www.melbourne.citysearch.com.au

www.visitvictoria.com.au

www.sydney.citysearch.com.au

www.tourism.nsw.gov.au

www.stay.com.au

When you find out how much the bus and train are, you may also like to check out internet booked flights (Virgin Blue or Qantas; Ansett are more expensive at the moment), one way from $66- (I think, always changing). This would reduce 12 hours travelling to only 1 and 1/2.

Weather should be still nice, some sunny days with nights getting cooler. Will need a jacket at night.

Enjoy your trip.