Maui or Britz?

Old Dec 13th, 2005, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maui or Britz?

We are planning a 15 day campervan trip through New Zealand in April 2006. I want to rent a campervan from Maui or Britz (apparently different brands from the same company). Maui is a little bit more expensive (newer vehicles) - it is worth spending the extra or would the Britz vehicles be ok?
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since you haven't attracted any replies to your post I'll give you my thoughts, even though I haven't used either Maui or Britz campervans.

Collectively (and probably individually) these companies are the largest renters of holiday vehicals (Camper vans and rental cars) in NZ. They are a subsiduary of Tourism Holdings, which among other things, also owns Milford Sound Red Boats, and The Helicopter Line.

I've seen many hundreds of these vans passing our door on their way to Milford Sound, and from the outside there is nothing to choose between them. They all apear to be new vehicals, and well maintained. You never see Maui or Britz campers spewing black smoke as they stuggle up the hills.

I'm not sure why there is a difference in price. As you suggest, it may be newer vehicals, but there is no obvious difference, and both turn their vehicals over regularly. Their depot in Christchurch is overeflowing with used vans for sale. I tend to think they are just trying to corner the market by offering vehicals over a wide price range. Perhaps the Maui vans are better appointed.

I'm sure you can rent with confidence from either of these companies.

Good luck, and have a great trip.

ps We call camper vans "Road Snails"