MAJOR MISTAKE

Old Feb 11th, 2004, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAJOR MISTAKE

We have 2 full days in Sydney. We love to be outside,walk and eat, so our first picks are Bridge Climb, the Manly Ferry, Spit bridge/Manly walk, Level 41, Doyles for seafood. Would it be a major mistake if we were to skip the Opera House. We love to enjoy our time without spreading ourselves to thin. If the Opera House is a must, can one just do a self tour whenever there is time, or do you have to arrange a time in advance. Thank you anyone for you advice.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 12:14 PM

When you say "miss" the Opera House, I assume you mean miss a formal tour or peformance. The Opera House is best admired from the outside anyway, you'll get great views from your Bridge Climb and you should also wander around to Mrs Macquarie's Chair for a great profile of the Bridge and House.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 12:18 PM

The Opera House will be in full view from the bridge, the Manly Ferry, Spit walk and depending on which Doyles ( I prefer the original at Watsons bay 'cause its just a wonderful setting etc - but if its in one in the Rocks then you will have a full view there)
Its a wonderful building from the outside but I don't think that the inside is anything to write home about and its a bit dated now. Unless you are into a 5 yr old child's drawings style then the painting by the Australian Artist, whose name I can't or choose not to remember, will leave you cold.
Too much to do outside to worry about the Opera House close up.
Yes you can do a self tour but you will have your time cut out for you doing the self tours of the harbour and the other things that you have in store for you.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 02:29 PM

Hi, mcrogers!

You will certainly see a lot of the Opera House when you are doing the Bridge climb, and there are, as previous posters have said, ample places to get close-up views of the exterior and the foyer without joining a tour. So there is no way you will "miss" the Opera House!

That said, I think you are making a mistake -- not a major one -- if you don't try to get a look at the inside of either the Opera Theatre or the Concert Hall (the latter is bigger and more spectacular). The best way, surely, to do this is to buy a ticket for the evening concert and join the audience! I think that, if you have only one night in Sydney, you risk wasting it by giving it over to one particular restaurant (by the way, which Doyle's did you mean -- the original at Watson's Bay or the new one at the pier in the Rocks?) I would choose a restaurant near the Opera House that is still serving when the concert comes out (maybe Doyle's on the pier will do this), and have a great evening inside the most magnificent music centre in the southern hemisphere!
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 02:41 PM

Just as a postscript to the above, margo_oz, whose posts are always reliable, has just written an appraisal of Doyle's on another thread... she refers to it as "overpriced" and considers the food "edible". I think, therefore, that she's agree with me that an evening listening to a symphony orchestra in the Concert Hall would beat an evening eating "edible" cuisine!
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 04:00 PM

OOppps Alan! I think that you are going a bit far saying that the Opera House is the most magnificent music centre in the Southern Hemisphere - what about the Colon in Buenos Aires and thats the only one in the Southern Hemisphere that I have attended a performance in?
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 04:43 PM

Yes, you're possibly right, Liz! I forgot Buenos Aires, which, I admit, quite knocked me out with its concert halls and museums (I was expecting more like a third-world country). Let's not quibble, then: the Sydney Opera House is one of the two or three best buildings for a concert in the southern hemisphere, and certainly the one most people will recognise on sight; and the point I was trying to make is, it will be remembered long after the meal at Doyle's is forgotten!
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

You all are my best friends! Thank you, that's just the kind of info I hope to get on this forum. Thank you, I know just what to do. Do you think Level 41 is overrated? Someone earlier had suggested that we have dinner early enough to see the sunset. They open at 6:00 and the sunsets at 6:10 on that day, (my husband thinks I'm nuts to have figured this out) Anyway, that is a very early dinner for us, but I did make reservations for 6:00. That cuts the day quite short, so I want to be sure that the evening is well spent. What do you suggest would be a great thing to do after dinner, just stroll or what? Also do you think we are wasteting an evening at 41, because really it's a lot of expense if it is not really worth it. Also, it was Doyles at Watson Bay of which I was speaking. So I might reconsider that choice. Eating outside would be our first choice anytime, and I certainly don't need to spend alot to enjoy. We just want good seafood and good wine. And really eating is not my top priority, but certainly love to do it.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 12:50 PM

Marilyn, if the weather is nice I would go into David Jones's (Department Store) food court in the city and get some yummy things for a picnic and forget about Level 41. Also a nice bottle or two of whatever takes your fancy, find a lovely spot in the Botanical Gardens near the water and have a picnic while the sun goes down and watch the activity on the harbour. The food from David Jones will be lovely, the wine great and the surroundings supurb - cost minimal Aussie experience 5 star. For the next night find your way to ( is it Harry's?) Cafe' de Wheels in Wooloomaloo and have an outstanding Australian meal of a pie floater or whatever pie you like with or without peas, cost very minimal, Aussie experience 5 star.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

You know, Liz, I think that's a wonderful idea! I think we would enjoy that even more, being out in the open air, that's right down our alley. J. will be really taken with me for planning such and unusual and delightful dinner for two. Thank you, Liz.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 07:29 PM

Anyone is Sydney will tell you where DJs is ( David Jones ) and when you are there tell them what you want it for. Your hotel will probably help you our with utensils etc and tell you exactly where the best place to go is.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 07:41 PM

Liz's idea is good...
however the gates to the botanic gardens close at sunset

get a ferry to taronga zoo with a picnic and walk around to bradley's head and watch the sun set behind the bridge/opera house...just magic.There will be a kookaburra there to laugh and eat your scraps.

the ferry ride back at night is memorable.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 08:52 PM

They shut the gates of the Botanical Gardens? See what you Sydney siders have done to the place!! Oh well the idea of John's is as good - if not better - that is a lovely spot and as pretty as............
Crikey Mate! closing the gates of the gardens eh! Wouldn't have been allowed in my time :0)
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 09:23 PM

In your time Liz...when you lived up at the Cross.Got knows what u got up to after dark in the gardens or down in the back streets of the loo.

And its got me beat what domestic airline you are going to use now...you blasted virgin and now qantus has gone to the pack....can you lend me ur qantus club card pls?
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 10:15 PM

I agree with Alan (thanks, Alan!) - a performance at the Opera House is wonderful. The walk back to the Quay, after a concert, looking across the harbour towards the Bridge, never fails to remind me what a great life we have, in a wonderful city. My head is filled with music - and it's just a magic feeling. I've lived in Sydney all my life (SO FAR!!!) - and it never fails to thrill me. I've been to concerts in other theatres around the world, and not much has come close - only a concert at La Scala!

Level 41 - the food is amazing, the service is generally good. If it's a once in a lifetime thing - then I'd do it. It's certainly a wonderful experience, although bloody expensive. You'll certainly remember it as a highlight.

If you have your minds set on Doyles - go to Watsons Bay for lunch. You can have expensive fish and chips with a great view! Perhaps consider eating your fish and chips on the beach at Manly, after the Spit walk. There's a good fish and chippery on the Corso - look for the crowds.

The Gardens are closed at night - but you can still take your picnic to Mrs Macquaries Chair (or point!) I think.

I took some American visitors to Long Nose Point (Yurulbin) near Balmain, west of the city proper, for a picnic. It gave them a different view of the harbour, and they loved it. A BBQ chook and a bottle of good bubbly, and all is right with the world!

Enjoy our city!
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 12:29 PM

I'll give you a clue to how old I am Johhj au - I apparently toddled over to the Pink Pussycat to get an icecream when I was 2. What did I get up to in those parks at night? Would you believe just the enjoyment of walking through gardens to the harbour and sitting watching the world go by on a summer's night. I actually used to enjoy sitting in Hyde Park too and just watch the world go by. Just one of those things that due to crime has been wiped out I guess.
The Jury is still out with Qantas, Customer Relations did contact me and are doing an investigation into the incident. I am actually flying back from Sydney with them in 10 days so should know by then what the answers are. Perhaps I could learn to ignore the "spunky crew" image on Virgin and pay the $30 for the grease-my-palm-and-you-will-get-your-preferred-seat. At least they have got a terminal now that is not a shed.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 02:04 PM

Further to the picnic idea David Jones will actually provide a fully stocked picnic hamper - complete with utensils etc. (you pay a refundable deposit for the basket/ hamper). It would obviously have to be organised prior to the date, but your concierge should be able to do that for you.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 03:57 PM

Great Prue, I thought that did but as I am not up with Sydney things anymore i.e. having parks close at sunset, I was not going to say that.
I don't think you could have a better dinner in a betting setting than somewhere around the harbour and at least you get your own choice of wine - no restaurant ever stocks what I like!
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

This is remarkable! I am already enjoying this picnic and haven't even arrived. We are definitely doing the picnic, and with all these wonderful ideas, I'll bet we have some company. I can't wait!!!!!
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 11:04 PM

OK when's the picnic!???

I love Long Nose Point!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -