Search

Lord Howe Island

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lord Howe Island

Does anyone have recommendations for accommodation and restaurants on the island ?Prefer not to stay in those places where all meals are provided. Thanks.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 06:03 PM

Hi Peteralan, we're finally off for our Lord Howe Island adventure 28Apr-6May this year (see http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34858010)

We're staying at the Lorhiti Apartments near Ned's Beach, which doesn't include meals (all have kitchens) but does have the separately-run <i>Garden Court</i> restaurant on site.
http//www.lorhiti.com

Hope this helps,
counting-the-days Jackie
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

Jackie, I've seen photos of that place and it looks nice. Hope you can give some feedback after your trip. My sister is going in March so I will expect some advice from her too. A friend told me you can no longer go the the restaurant at Capella Lodge if you don't stay there. That is a blow...I can't afford those prices but I did want to have a dinner there.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 01:51 PM

Hi Peter, will certainly post feedback after our trip!

Indeed, seems the Capella has recently closed it's restaurant doors to non-guests
http://www.lordhoweisland.info/restaurants.html
but reading other reports, most of the eating places operate on 'island time' and it's advised to always check/book whilst on the island.

Look forward to hearing your sister's update after her March visit ... when are you planning your stay?
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 05:06 PM

Dear Jackie, we are very envious of your planned trip to LHI! I eagerly await your trip report. We gave it up because of the added expense of getting there plus wanting to go elsewhere, but we would be very interested to hear how the snorkeling/scuba was there, especially if it was reef type fish or otherwise. We have a National Geographic Australia calendar and this month the picture is of LHI and it looks like a lost land from a dream. Wow, mountains, a turquoise bay, surf around the edges, wow. Let us know if it is worth the extra expense and effort!
Sally in Seattle
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 06:04 PM

Hi Sally, will certainly post a jbr after our LHI ‘last paradise on earth’ adventure.
Pity you missed out on LHI during your last trip, but perhaps the lure of the island will “incentivise” your next trip down-under? The marine life is unique, with so many species found nowhere else on our planet – so will be snorkelling with a LHI Marine guide in my left hand,

Jackie
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

FurryTiles, soory I am just getting back to you. My computer has been on strike! Its ok now. I am thinking maybe late October or November. I received a postcard from friends yesterday . They are there now for the second time and are raving ...telling me to get over there!
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

Are you still out there FurryTiles? As promised I am getting back to you re my sister's trip to LHI. She loved it and the time went too quickly. As far as Lorhiti is concerned she said it looks really beautiful and has nice gardens etc. Only drawback for her was that it is up a hill. Close to everything when you are coming down and in the other direction it is handy to Ned's Beach but going up the hill could be tiresome if you have to do that often. Otherwise she seems to think it is a great choice. She recommends Pandanus for meals. I rather fancy Lorhiti myself but am baulking at the hill idea. Would you mind reporting back after your trip? Have a great time!
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 03:20 AM

Hi again PeterAlan, yep still here and counting the days! Just sixteen sleeps now Thanks so much for the feedback on your sister's visit. Will let you know about how steep the hill is to Lorhiti! Actually, we were advised that our unit has a direct path down to Neds Beach, just a two minute walk ... but that could turn out to be 'climb', lol.

Will certainly let you know our Lorhiti experience/recommendation after our return.

Was actually holding my breath last week when the initial tsunami warning first hit our coasts after the Solomons earthquake, and LHI was mentioned as being on 'full alert'. So fortunate for us all here that it was just 10cm, but such devastation and loss of life in the Solomons.

Nature rules in every sense.

Thanks for the restaurant tip, too. Glad your sis had such a great time.

Jackie
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Jackie. Yes she was actually there when the tsunami warning came. She said it was a bit worrying at the time but fortunately no problems.