Looking for cheap fare on Lynx ferry

Jan 26th, 2004, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Looking for cheap fare on Lynx ferry

On the interislander site the Lynx ferry fare is 100NZ, apex car rental is 68NZ. Someone at Interislander said that when you're in New Zealand one could get a cheaper fare but I don't feel comfortable waiting until March 21 when I get there and need the ferry by March 27. I have heard from an agency in Hastings called Breakaway New Zealand-they quoted me 48NZ, but I dont' know how they got my email, or if they are for real. How can I check them out. Can anybody help me on this lower fare. Thanks. Alana
Jan 26th, 2004, 02:12 PM

Hi there,

I found a website for breakaway NZ at www.breakaway.co.nz
but I don't know any more about them.

The website has the NZ Tourim Industry Association logo on it so you could e-mail them at ... [email protected] and they might be able to give you more information on Breakaway.

As far as $100 for the Lynx, that seems rather high for a foot passenger but if you are taking a vehicle across as well, it would be a good deal.

If you are renting a car, check with the company as they may have a depot at both Wellington and Picton, you can drop your car off at one end and pick up another at Picton. Saves quite a bit on the ferry fare.

The Interislander is slightly cheaper than the Lynx and there is also an independant ferry company ... Strait Shipping which is even cheaper again.

That may be the $48 fare that Breakaway are offering ?

http://www.straitshipping.co.nz/bb_fares.htm

Good luck,
Christa

Jan 26th, 2004, 09:45 PM

I got a cheap passenger fare ($30) directly from them at [email protected]
I think they book a certain volume of fares at lower cost but they are non-refundable and did not come up on the website.
Hope this helps.
Jan 26th, 2004, 11:27 PM

I just went to http://www.interislandlinebookings.co.nz/ and was quoted $50 for a Feb sailing.
Jan 27th, 2004, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

My apex car rental offered me 52, but I think it's a mistake. So I've emailed the ferry again and I'll let you know what they say. Thanks for the tourism site. I've even emailed the Hastings tourist bureau, so I'm waiting for them to answer Alana