Longreach Cowboy Country

Old Jun 19th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Longreach Cowboy Country

Is is possible to spend three days between Rockhampton and Cairns via Longreach and see the western Outback? We have a ranch and this will be my only chance to see the old west of Australia-I know it will involve miles of driving, but we are road warriors. We have 2-3 days near Port Douglas before departing on a cruise from Cairns to Sydney, so will experience GBR in a very unique way. Any input will be appreciated.
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 06:41 AM

For road warriors this should be possible. Do I assume you are traveling north, i.e. driving up to Port Douglas via Rockhampton? If so, suggest driving the obvious route via Emerald and Barcaldine. From Longreach, I'd be tempted to continue on to Winton, then head back to the coast north via Hughenden and Charters Towers.

We did a similar trip several years ago. We left Rocky after lunch and overnighted in Emerald. Next day we drove out to Winton (NW of Longreach) for one night, then returned to Emerald for the third night. We then drove south to Carnarvon Gorge (near Rolleston) for two nights.

If we hadn't been traveling with another couple, I would have liked to have spent more time in and around Winton and Longreach. Winton had quite a lot of character in a wild west kind of way. It's a place where time has stood still - like the 1950's era decor at the North Gregory Hotel where we stayed. The pubs in Winton were great - really enjoyed the locals and meeting some very interesting characters.

If you have the time, Carnarvon Gorge is well worth seeing, though you really do need a full day (2 nights) to see it properly.
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the quick replies, at least no one has loudly said no. I did want to go as far as Winton, so will plan to do that route. Any other suggstions, please shout out.
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 02:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Sure - it's about 1700km and very doable in 3 days if you're used to country driving & long distances.

Winton is only a couple of hours from Longreach & you'll go through it anyway.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&s...09&ie=UTF8&z=6

Some interesting places along the way, not least the Stockmen's Hall of Fame in Longreach. http://www.outbackheritage.com.au/

BTW- Stockmen, not Cowboys in Australia. The ones who ride buckjumpers & bulls are generally called, "Rough Riders" or "Buckjumpers".
"Ranch" to you is "Station" or mostly just "Place" if it's a decent size, to us.

Pity you don't have a little more time; one of my cousins runs a few cattle on a place out of Clermont.
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 03:17 PM

I like Winton and had a great stop there last year. Lark Quarry nearby is really well worth a look - beautiful colours of Australia out that way.
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

Bokhara-
thanks again for all your help, and for the correct words for our US phrases. I wish we had more time as well, however the boat leaves Cairns on 11/2 at 5:00 and I also want to spend a few days in the rainforest ares before departure. It might be a pull, but I think it makes sense to leave from Rockhampton and go to Longreach on the first day. And then take two days to go north and stop at interestin places along the way. It would have been great to meet your cousin as those are the type of things I most enjoy about travelling. Keep sending ideas....

Shelly