Search

Lizard Island in January

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lizard Island in January

We have just read on another post here at Fodors
(great barrier reef-accomodations and cruise's ) about cyclonic weather during November, Yikes !!!!

We are booked to spend a day with Daintree air at Lizard Island reef snorkelling during January / 08.
Have we chosen the wrong time of the year for this. We were told January can be one of the best times to visit the barrier reef.
Did they get it wrong. ??
Old Dec 9th, 2007, 01:31 AM
oceankayaker7

Jan. is the third wettest month of the year for that area of the great barrier reef. Average temps 63-100 degrees F. The dry season does run June to October.
Having been to Lizard a few times, you will love snorkeling not to mention the beaches are beautiful.
If your spending anytime in Cairns, you may not be able to swim in the ocean due to there having too many box jellyfish around.
Yes, it would have been better to visit prior to Jan. but I think since your going to be there one day you should be fine.

Old Dec 10th, 2007, 09:11 AM

I'm sure that Greg wouldn't take you if there is a cyclone! You can contact him to see if there is any flexibility in your dates if you are concerned. The Watson's Bay where we went with him is quite protected, as is the Blue Lagoon on the other side of the island. If the weather is bad for snorkeling, I would imagine it would be bad for flying a small plane, so he wouldn't be able to go anyway. Again, I would contact Greg for reassurances that you will have a great time with him.
Sally
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Original Poster

Many Thanks for the help Sally and Kyaker.

Daintree air informed us this evenning January is one of the better months to visit as there is very little wind on the Ocean.
Greg also mentioned there is always the chance of cyclonic weather during Dec,Jan,Feb,Mar but said they flew 18 days into Lizard last Jan with excellent conditions each tour.

Fingers crossed
Old Dec 15th, 2007, 03:45 PM

Greg told us the same thing before our trip in January of 06. However, you never can tell. Our trip was canceled two days in a row. Greg is very reliable, however - he booked us on Calypso, a snorkeling and diving boat trip out to the reef.

We were disappointed to miss the Lizard experience, however. You have to be flexible at that time of year.
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 02:29 AM

Hi lasalle,

I did a search on the forum and came across your post. My friends and I are planning a trip to Australia for the last week in January and cannot decide between spending some time in the Great Barrier Reef (worried about the weather) or in Kangaroo island. I was curious to see how your trip turned out? Thanks
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 05:03 AM

sushi,
If lasalle isn't about to answer your query, as one who has lived in Queensland and down south, I'll attempt to explain the weather pattern a bit.

Just like the US if you're from there Australia has a tropical season in our north and for the US it's down Florida and the Gulf way where you can get hurricanes, in either case the tropics are towards the equator.

I must admit I was a bit surprised to see Lasalle reporting that Greg the pilot confirmed January had calm weather or little wind on the ocean but in thinking a bit more and having at times read of sailors sailing into what is called the "doldrums" bands of sea area nearing the equator, I can see what he is saying, and that is in between times when there could be tropical storms and those even developing into cyclones, you could have "doldrum' type weather and when you tie that in with the Australian east coast not having a high frequency of cyclones I can understand how the January weather report has a risen.

The other thing that you may want to take into account is that even without storms/cyclones/rain, the weather in January will be very hot and humid, made all the more worse if there are a lack of sea breezes.

Most Queenslanders btw, myself included would avoid like the plague going too far north in Summer just because of the humidity, box jelly fish and stingers in the sea and mosquitoes being far more prevalent and aggressive, and they can give diseases too, some fatal and/or making people suffer.

And to compare that with Kanagaroo Island and south coast generally - you can get summer storms in the south too, but they will not usually be of the ferocity of cyclonic type weather, and whereas weather associated with a cyclone can hang about for several days, even up to a week or more while it develops, has its blast and then diminishes (all similar to hurricanes building), southern storms are much more likely to be of a "front' nature as associated with a weather change that will blow through sometimes in the space of an hour and most times in an afternoon and gone by the next day.
And down south you do not have the humidity that a tropical area has, and it's the humidity in Queensland, particularly FNQ which can really spoil a visit - very enerhy sapping etc.
Lasalle may have hopefully found a good period of weather but bet it would still have been very warm and humid, and that's no guarantee of what you might have.
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 03:18 PM

Hang in there for Lizard Is if you can, lasalle. Snorkelling over the Clam Garden off Watson's Beach is amazing!