Search

Kayaking in New Zealand

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 1999, 05:06 PM
Russell

Kayaking in New Zealand

I am planning on spending a little over a month in NZ next year during Jan and Feb. I have extensive experience kayaking around the world, but have yet to paddle the waters of the South Pacific. I'm curious about the possibility of finding rental equipment in NZ. Also thinking about purchasing a folding kayak. <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR>Russell

Old Apr 19th, 1999, 11:30 AM
Hans

It is very easy to find and rent equipment near the major kyacking spots. Make sure you check out Abel Tasman National Park--wonderful scenery and some of th lakes and rivers near Queenstown. We also had wonderful kyacking ours in Milford Sound and the Bay of Ilsands up noth. You can find most equipment you'll need with very little hassle so I would not bring anything with you. Have great time!

Old Apr 21st, 1999, 02:13 PM
Kaz

Russell, <BR> <BR>I can second what Hans said about the Abel Tasman National Park. There are also a couple of rivers in the North Island where you can Kayak the rapids. One I know of is a Lodge called River Valley about 30 KM from Taihapi (Tourist Information in Taihapi can give you the number, and they'll pick you up.) Another is further north, just outside Rotorua (sorry, can't remember the name of the River). <BR>Have a great trip!

Old May 4th, 1999, 10:03 AM
Lamar Patan

&lt;a href="http://nz.com/NZ/webnz/nelson/doc/abeltasman.html"&gt;Abel Tasman&lt;/a&gt; is definitely where it's at. Nothing like paddling with penguins in 70 degree turquoise waters. You can pick up all the gear you'll need in Nelson.

Old Jun 25th, 1999, 06:09 AM
Susan Cook

Kia ora, Russell; <BR> <BR>I agree with the comments re: Abel Tasman. It's a sub-tropical paradise, with golden beaches and clear azure seas. But to get away from the (kayaking) crowds you may also want to consider the Marlborough Sounds, 100 miles or so east of Abel Tasman. Beyond your first day out you're past the crowds -- and you can happily spend 3 days in Queen Charlotte Sound alone. Outfitters are based in Picton and Anakiwa (next door to the NZ Outward Bound School).

Old Sep 5th, 1999, 06:57 PM
sharon

Try to fit in a brief call to the Coromandel Peninsula - some nice sea kayaking done here! email for more info. <BR>[email protected]