Search

kangaroo island in October

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kangaroo island in October

Hi,
For those of you who follow this forum, I apologize for doing another post so soon, but as I read up for our trip to Oz, I keep coming up with more and more questions.

We are planning to go to Australia in October (not this year, but the next). We had hoped that October would be a good compromise--not quite the rainy season yet in GBR...hopefully not the full scorching heat in the Red Centre--and not in the very coldest parts of winter.

However, in most of my guidebooks, it doesn't recommend going to Kangaroo Island until November. Is this because it will be too rainy, too cold (or both) in October? Or is it because some of the animals disappear in the winter--and won't be back yet?

Any help at all would be very much appreciated!
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 02:52 PM

Don;t base the time of your trip on Kangaroo Island as there are many other places better and more accessible than KI to see animals at any time of year anyway. I don't know why they say not before November.
October is a good month to come as the rains have usually not started in Queensland then and on the GBR, its pleasant weather and its not too cold further south.
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

lizF,
thanks for answering. Do you think kangaroo island is worth the effort to get out there?

I liked the idea that we could see lots of different animals in a natural setting--especially the fairy penguins, wallabies, kangaroos. Also koalas.

I kind of thought it might be interesting to get so close to the sea lion colony as well. And I guess black swans and some other birds.

I'd love to hear other suggestions of more accessible ways to see these animals (in the wild--not in the wildlife park!). Thanks very much!
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 05:39 PM

We've trekked all over Australia on several trips over the past 10 years and Kangaroo Island holds a special place in our hearts. It's really the only place that we have traveled that we were able to see so many different animals in the wild. We saw many kangaroos, koalas, fairy penguins, seals, glossies, wallabies and even an echidnea. We visited KI last November and the weather was very blustery which was very uncommon for November. We nearly blew away! As for October, I think it would be fine--we were told that there's always plenty to see no matter what time of year.
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 05:59 PM

I cannot remember whether or not you are going to Tasmania. But the last time I went for a drive in the evening there I saw bandicoots, wallabies, possums, kangaroos, black swans by the thousands both on water and eating the grass, an echidna and finally a wombat. You can find seal colonies and penguins all around Tassie and most of the time by not having to pay for it either.
I personally don't think KI is worth it but others disagree. Whether or not they have done things and been places that I have, I cannot tell to compare but I do know that also as far as the Atherton Tablelands goes it is also a bird lovers paradise and an animal one too so if you are going to the GBR then you will have a wonderful opportunity to go there. Between that and the Daintree you will see animals that are not even in the rest of Australia as well as the more common ones.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 04:32 AM

Hi there,
Kangaroo Island is a great destination for those wishing to see a range of Australian wildlife in their own environment and the cooler months are better than the warmer. A guided tour should ensure that you see kangaroos, tammar wallabies, koalas, echidnas, sea lions (and walk among them), New Zealand Fur seals, possibly snakes and goannas, a wide variety of birds (wetland species, coastal species and land birds including the rare glossy black cockatoo) and some tour operators offer a nocturnal penguin tour in their packages. This can all be done in a two day touring package and include wonderful coastal scenery (Remarkable rocks and Admirals Arch) to name a few. Kangaroo Island has large areas of National Parks and Reserves and this unspoilt environment, its compact dimensions coupled with its lack of feral rabbits and foxes,gives the island significant advantages over other Australian destinations when seeking unique interactions with the wildlife. The cooler months find the animals to be more active and also it is the best time to see new born marsupials and birds. The Island has great flora and the wildflowers are at their peak in Sept/Oct. The climate is temperate - frosts are rare and a jacket and jeans and snaeakers are fine for sight seeing. A guided tour is the best way to maximise your experience. Often those who are disappointed with the Island have been self drive where lack of local knowledge results in wasted time and missed opportunities.
Explor TOURS on www.tourkangarooisland.com.au for info. on touring packages.
Hope this is of assistance.