Search

kangaroo island

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kangaroo island

I need some help; here's the problem. I've read about Kangaroo Island. Visiting the island sounds like a wonderful traveler's experience: an incredible number of animals in the wild, scenic pristine landscapes of various types, beaches, bush land, beautiful bays and inlets, etc.

Having learned this information, I went to my Fodor's guide expecting Kangaroo Island to be a Fodor's choice. I was surprised the it didn't even have a black star. What am I missing here? Has anyone been there? Can you give me advice and counsel? I would appreciate any and all input.

Thanks!
Bob
Old Nov 5th, 2006, 05:11 PM

Bob, best idea is to use the 'search' box above to turn up some past threads on the subject. You'll see that opinions are divided, sometimes sharply so, on KI.
Old Nov 5th, 2006, 06:42 PM

Mrramayer--KI is just as you have described it, so I can't understand why it did not have a black star. I have been there twice and I certainly hope to go back again someday soon. I am sure you would love visiting there.
Old Nov 5th, 2006, 06:48 PM

I second Longhorn's opinion. I had a great time at KI. I included it in my 3 week trip to Oz and felt it was well worth the time especially since a trip there can be combined with spending time in the Barossa Valley.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 04:30 AM

Perhaps it just boils down to the Fodor's writer for that part of Australia not being particularly impressed.
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 08:02 PM

My husband and I included Kangaroo Island on our 3 week trip in Australia and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Many people enjoy the organized tours that are available on the island. We preferred to rent a car and drive ourselves around the island. It is a great place to see wildlife.

Sara
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 08:08 PM

I was in Australia in Feb and spent 3 days on Kangaroo Island. It was one of my favorite parts of the tour.

I stayed a wonderful B&B - The Stranraer. www.stranraer.com.cu

It is a small inn run by Lynn & Graham Wheaton with only 4 guest rooms. I had the best food I'd had during my trip, all prepared by Lynn.

since I was on my own, I did decide to take a 4 wheel drive tour of the island (twice, same driver each day) I chose a tour where there was only 3 others in the car. I believe the name was Adventure Tours, but there are a number of them. We were able to see all kinds of wild life and because we were a small group, were able to stop off at a few out of the way places for our tea 2x day and lunches (prepared on site by the driver!) I do have a pictures of my trip at dmphotogallery.smugmug.com. if you'd like to look. (there are a lot, but they are wonderful!)

I'd go back to Kangaroo Island in a heartbeat!
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 09:48 PM

Dona, how was the weather in February? Did you find it too hot? I am planning on going to Sydney down to Adelaide (and of course KI) either February or March 2007.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 08:12 PM

the weather was actually, quite comfortable. I did wear long pants and a light jacket, I'd say low 60's - mid 70's, but fine for hiking around. I think it should have been warmer as there had been a heat wave of sorts just before I got there, but it was really very comfortable the entire time. have a wonderful time!
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 08:40 AM

Oh good. You reassured me. Everyone was telling me how hot it would be. I was started to think it would be around +40C or something. But 20 - 25C I can handle.

thanks!
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 12:00 PM

thanks for the temp conversion.. I never quite know how to do it!!
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 02:15 AM

We spent two days on KI last month and stayed at Stranraer as did one of the previous posters. I can give it the same rave reviews. Lyn and Graham are wonderful hosts and Lyn's gourmet meals were the icing on the cake. We booked the complete package...airfare, accommodations, and touring through Exceptional Kangaroo Island, formerly doing business as Adventure Charters. Their driver/guides/naturalists are truly exceptional and the owner of the tour company Craig Wickham is a delight. We saw so much wildlife in their natural environment...it was wonderful. I can't shout enough praises about this trip....don't miss it. We spent 3 weeks in Oz and this was one of the highlights. We are now in NZ and also having a great time...the wildlife here is also terrific.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 02:42 PM

The reason why Kangaroo Island is not on the list is probably because it's not part of the Southeast where most of the population lives and because most visitors to Australia stay on the east coast, people rarely hear about these other treasures.

Kangaroo Island is actually Australia's 3rd largest island. I live in Adelaide now (from CA) and have visited there for 5 days during the winter. Even in the winter, it was just stunning!! You'll see all the wildlife you need, actually in the wild, not in zoos during the day and at night. If driving at night you have to really watch out not to hit a small animal!

What's really misleading is actually how big the island is. We stayed about 30 min from the ferry terminal and found that we were driving 200km/day visiting the western side of the island and back to our accomodation. So if you plan on staying more than a couple of days, stay in different parts of the island. If you can afford a 4WD, do so as a lot of the roads are not paved. Watch out for your speed, my husband got a ticket.

There are great gourmets things to do there too. Go to the Marron farm (small lobster), Clifford's Bee Farm, Sheep's Milk Cheese, plenty of wineries, fantastic fishing too.

Vivonne Bay was voted as one of Australia's best beaches. IT is stunning and crystal clear. So clear that I actually lowered my bait as the school of fish swam close and it bit!!

If you don't have too much time, go to SEALINK's website and there are plenty of 1 and 2 day trips from ADelaide. Enjoy!
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 02:43 PM

And another thing about weather in February...it may be cooler in Kangaroo Island's but in Adelaide in Feb, it's usually 35 to 40C...and this year, we've had the worst drought ever.
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 09:32 AM

We were in Kangaroo Island November 2002. It is a MUST SEE! We stayed, as the ONLY family, at the Lookout - link follows:

http://www.the-lookout.com.au/

Unbelievable accommodations, unbelieve hosts. You are their only customers!! You get to create your own itinerary, they cook for you, you will have lunch, specially prepared by them, overlooking the ocean. It will probably always be the most favorite part of any of the many vacations I have taken. The price, also, is extremely reasonable! Enjoy your trip!!!
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 10:47 AM

We booked the same package as itchyfeet5 last May, and it was exceptional. Adventure Charters are very good and the stay at Stranaer was a delight. We included the flight from Sydney to K.I. in the Qantas Pass itinerary. I had to ask for it specifically, it's in the "small print", and the booking agent apologized for not knowing about it.