Search

Kangaroo Island

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2006, 04:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kangaroo Island

We are driving Mel-GOR-Adelaide and want to see Kangaroo Island. To include best scenery, is it best to drive from the GOR to Cape Jervis & over to KI or from GOR to Adelaide and then do a tour to KI?? HELLLP!
Will be 1st week December - will jackets be required? Brrrr!
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 07:26 AM

Three years ago, I took the Great Ocean Road tour (waywardbus.com.au) from Melbourne to Adelaide and then a two day tour to Kangaroo Island with the tour company.

The weather was really hot until we got to Adelaide (where a cold front came through) and I nearly froze on Kangaroo Island. The water is quite cool and if the breeze is off the water, the air will be cold too. In short, a good windbreaker.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 10:47 AM

We were there in mid-November last year and the first day was very blustery and unseasonably cool. The second day was sunny and gorgeous. Definitely take a windbreaker and some good walking shoes!
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 04:50 PM

If i were you, i'd drive GOR to cape jervis, then do KI, then go from KI to Adelaide. Unless you really want to take a tour, then go to adelaide. it's quite nice down that way, although there's not much at cape jervis! we made the mistake of thinking we'd drive there for fish and chips .... no luck. nice spot though. also, in that area there's heaps of food produce places (strawberries, cheese, yabbies) and the markets that are at willunga are good. http://www.fleurieufood.com.au/FleurieuFood/#

Port Elliot and Victor harbour are both nice places and Deep Creek conservation area is worth a stop - it's an easy walk through the dunes to a beach, great for both sunrise and sunset. excellent camping spot too. this place looks nice to stay http://www.southernoceanretreats.com.au/

lots of wineries to visit if you like as well - langhorne creek, fleurieu and mclaren vale.

good map at http://www.fleurieupeninsula.com.au/

don't forget crayfish at robe and apparently the best mullet at the whart at kingston SE.

Old Aug 17th, 2006, 03:23 AM

Hi Wally,

hey another Wayward Bus fan - great to see cos I keep recommending it - but have never yet had a response to indicate it was of interest.

It is a great trip - but people insist on hiring a car and doing it themselves - usually in two days (pretty pointless).

The GOR is not one of Australia's must see destinations unless you take your time doing it. If you do then it is probably the best(easy) road trip you can do for variety - but you must know where to get off the main road; where you can plug in to side trips.

If you have days, then not a prob - pitch up, find somewhere to stay; find out what options there are. Stay a couple of days in a small town until a trip you want to do has enough folk to make it viable.

If you don't have that sort of time but want to see what the GOR has to offer then go WB.

This will, as always, fall on deaf ears.

Old Aug 21st, 2006, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys for all the info. Now trying to sort out a couple of nights stay in Melbourne, but whats a good area? We'll also be picking up car to start our GOR tour from here, so where is easy'ish to drive out of Melbourne for the first time?*!